RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Can dogs see/distinguish an orange bumper or the color orange?

• Yes! Dogs can absolutely see and distinguish orange.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way! Dogs are color blind.

• No, they can?t see orange, but the color orange makes a distinct shade of grey that they can disting

• No, dogs can?t see or distinguish the color orange, but some dogs are extremely adept at finding and

• Other ? the obligatory other ? explain.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime I believe my dog can see and distinguish the color orange. Other times I believe he sees the shape of the bumper.

What do you think?

Can dogs see/distinguish an orange bumper or the color orange?

Joe Miano

·
Registered
252 Posts
Joe:

I say no--may seem that way because of things they do but they do not see orange the way we do. I'm not saying it is invisible--but it is no where as visible as it is to us.

John
________
WENDIE 99

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Checked "other".

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It is my understanding that dogs are basically color blind, though they can see some color in the yellow and blue/violet range as do deer. They have no color vision in the green or red parts of the color spectrum. So they do not see orange other than a shade of grey. ALL of the studies I have read state that dogs do not see orange. My guess folks think a dog can see orange, but other factors lead them to believe this falsehood such as a dog's ability recognize a bumper by shape or smell.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have had some dogs that can, and more that can't. Teeny tiny pieces of tape to mark 'overs' in the yard were seen, and bumpers? A mile away.

Only a handful of dogs in our group have been able to do this. Wow, Crunch, Striker, and we think, the young guy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am the "Other"...I've known dogs that could see orange...it wasn't picking out the shape of a bumper, I've seen them key in on orange lining poles, orange cones, orange bumpers, orange flags. Most dogs I've known don't do this, one in particular we've used orange as suction and fought them off of it.

Cray

·
Registered
179 Posts
My dog answered this question for me this morning. I ran a known blind with an orange bumper sitting up in plain sight on open ground at about 100 yards. I could see the bumper from the line. The dog ran a good hard line to the area and then hunted around for the bumper but quite obviously could not see it.

Cheers, Jason.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My dogs can see orange-at least they respond as if they see it. I've seen dogs in my training group swim past a seemingly obvious orange bumper, but mine never do.

Christine

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Do a search on "dogs color vision". You will find the research indicates that dogs do not see orange other as a shade of grey.

G

·
I think my dog is just good at picking out the shape of the bumper if out in the open. We had set up a test with a pile of orange bumpers on the beaver house about 90 yards away. Also had set up 2 wingers for a double on either side of the pond. I swear sometimes the dog just walks up to the line and thinks that this where one mark is coming from and then turns to try and pick out the other winger in the marsh. Then I swear he looked straight at the blind.

We ran the marks first than sent for the blind up the middle to the beaver house. The dog swam lining it to about 80 yards then started to break down and took one cast to pick it up. That day we were sure he saw them from the line but the shape just wasnt defined enough when he was looking at them a little closer from a different angle on the beaver house.

If only they could talk

·
Registered
471 Posts
I did my own research. My dogs see weller than a lot of other dogs. On the other had my dogs don't see a flyer sometimes.
I think they see grey/s but I don't think all dogs have exactly the same vision (People don't). I think some dogs pick out orange(grey, dark grey, light grey, whatever) a whole lot better than others.

WAH - Not just my .02 worth but my professional opinion! :wink:

Edit: I voted other

G

·
seeing orange

A couple of dogs in our training group I would swear are seeing the orange flagging or pole. For example a naitonal MH dog tonight was making a line to the blind it was off to the left of the blind but probably 30 to 40 yards out hooked over and made a line as straight as a string to the orange pole and flag. Other times they have used a small piece of orange flagging on a bush. The dog sure seems to see the flagging.

They did another blind tonight without a flag but just used a clump of grass. The dog did not make nealy as clean of lines to the blind when flagging was not used.

·
Registered
206 Posts
voted other....my dog as well as her sire seem to pick orange up very well most of the time. I think a lot of it has to do with whether the lighting conditions, possibly 'high-lighting' the bumper, sort of a white effect. The other possibility a UV thing, especially off of the more flourescent bumpers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My experience has shown that to a dog orange is very similar in shade to the green grass on a lawn. Throw a white bumper on mowed lawn grass and watch the dog go for it. Throw a black bumper on the mowed grass and you get the same reaction. Throw the orange bumper on the grass and the dog will hunt for it. Throw the same orange bumper on the driveway and the dog will react to it in the same manner as he did to the white or black bumpers on grass. From my experience with orange camo patterns I believe that deer have the same color vision as dogs. I can hide from a deer in green flora just as easily with orange camo as with green.

As to the dogs picking out cones, poles, piles of bumpers, etc. I believe that has to do with an animals ability to see form much better than people do. To hide from people I can match the background color and will be reasonably successful. To hide from an animal I must break up my form, which is why we wear camo patterns. How well the colors match is not as critical as whether I present an identifiable shape or not. Obviously quality of lighting will have an effect on whether a form stands out from its background easily or not. The flatter the light the more the form will blend.

As far as the flagging goes, the dog sees motion much better than we do. It matters not what color the flagging is, the dog will see the motion of the flag against its background.

Had to get my nickels worth in here.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
D*mned sure accelerate to a blind stake, but whether it's the shape or shade???

But a quietus on this orange sight stuff, could invalidate my favorite post of any gundog board, by a self-aggrandizing sort of handler in N--oops, better say "one of the Dakotas" who was selling all his orange bumpers because his dog couldn't mark them. Would throw them and the dog ran right past them, so what good were they anyhow if the dog couldn't mark them? Natter how close he threw them. Swore it was so, and had decided to get rid of all of them pronto and cheap. Now, convince him dogs can see them and he might change his mind about peddling those nice but downright invisible and unmarkable orange bumpers...

MG

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm colored blind to a significant degree but I have no problem spotting deer any time of year. I think it comes down to recognizing shapes and lines and the shades of grey or color that separate them. I suspect dawgs use the same thought process when searching for an orange bumper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have taken B+W photos of hunter oranges and orange and red with my camera equipment. The flo orange comes out as a very bright, nearly white shade of grey, the flat orange and red are dark in the images. Put on a hunter orange vest and raise you arm in direct light, you can see an orange glow on your arm from the vest. In the case of flourescent orange, the old cant see color thing does not exactly add up.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Simple test -- throw an orange bumper into the middle of mowed grass and see if your dog uses its nose.

My dogs do. They can sometimes pick out the shape of the bumper, but they cannot see it by color so they hunt it up with their nose.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I think the older and wiser (maybe just smarter) dogs learn to look for certain things. Mine can tell you which is the live gun station, they know to look for the wet spot on the other bank and all sorts of things that a less experienced dog would even think about. I think that they learn to look for things that look like man made - straight even edges don't naturally occur very often.

Bubba

1 - 20 of 30 Posts