RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, reading the thread about what part of training you like least hit home this morning. Last night I battled with the pup and am less than happy.....Here is the scenario....

Have been working with FF and hold for about a month. Finally thought I had the pup healing good while holding the bumper (at least on a lead and pinch collar). This week, started doing some short marks again. He runs out and gets the bumper, but always picks it up by the end (like a cigar) runs in, heels and sits okay, but wants to shake the bumper all around! I take it away, place it in his mouth square, (so he's holding by the middle) and he still wants to shake it to death! Also he rolls it around in his mouth until he gets it by the end again, or drops it and picks it up by the end! :shock: :x
This is driving me crazy!!!!!!! Do I go back to heeling on lead and holding? Back to the table? Do I not make a big deal of the shaking the bumper to death....

My instinct says go back to the table, he gets the whole ear pinch thing, but when he drops it and I pinch for him to pick it up, he throws himself around like I am trying to kill him! :roll:
Help...I need patience.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the same problem. Part of the issue is the recall. Tidy up HERE and then work on hold.

I know it doesn't seem like a recall issue but I believe it is. My pup did the same thing. She would charge out to the mark grab it and run back when she felt like it shaking and throwing it. Until I did the following

If you can walk away with your pup holding the bumper on a sit. Then go back to a 6' foot leash. Command Sit & Hold walk to end of leash command HERE. Remember Grab the dog not the bumper when he comes. Lots and lots of praise for a good HERE.

Gradually increasing the distance on a check cord until you can get 50'.

Then go to short retrieves no longer than your check cord until it's good etc.. etc..

I still have the cigaring but no more shaking and recall issues.

I'm gonna try this guys idea to help with cigaring and tighting up hold before i go to FF

http://www.kwicklabs.com/Kwick Bumpers.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts