RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Should the Canine Classifieds be changed/what change?

  • No...the classifieds are fine the way they are

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other....I have posted my comment in this thread.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know what canine classified users think about the current status and issues that the board is having.

We did this a while back and had it "locked down" as non-repliable, non-bumpable.

In its current state, it is requiring some "policing", which neither Vicky nor I have time for.

Many of you are aware of the issues, some have been bringing issues to our attention.

Please click a button and share your opinion!

thanks! -custodian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
I like them the way they are. but would understand if you changed it to no posting because of a few who are abusing and disregarding the rules of bumping. Somebody should volunteer to be the classifieds monitor, one of you hard ass x marines like Patrick Johndrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,140 Posts
Chris,

While not perfect, the current system is not too bad.

Is it possible to allow responses that would not bump the post?

Also might be nice to seperate the breeds, or offer a stud dog section. As crazy as it sounds-not everyone is looking for a yellow Lab.


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
John Gassner said:
Chris,

While not perfect, the current system is not too bad.

Is it possible to allow responses that would not bump the post?

Also might be nice to seperate the breeds, or offer a stud dog section. As crazy as it sounds-not everyone is looking for a yellow Lab.


John
I like the idea of seperating the breeds, and a stud dog section. Other than that I say leave the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
I like the updates on how many pups left, price reductions, etc.

I think someone should be assigned to police the people that bump for bumping sake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,442 Posts
Russ said:
I like the updates on how many pups left, price reductions, etc.

I think someone should be assigned to police the people that bump for bumping sake.
As per PM - I agree with this idea too - but I understand the "black and white" concern....

FOM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
After I replied in that other thread on the Classifieds board, I double-checked my ad.

I placed the ad in February. Bumped it once on April 7 after the pregnancy was confirmed. Bumped it again April 24 when pups were born. Bumped it last time when the sire had his hips/elbows done May 24. There was no identifieble "spike" in inquiries after each bump.

I'm not convinced bumping ads does anything other than send up a red flag that the pups are hard to sell for some reason. Maybe a sticky with examples of good ad copy and header flags that people could use as templates would be useful.

Remove the bump/reply capabilities, but allow editing, if it is possible. I could have simply added extra lines to my original post with the pertinent information as each "milestone" came up. It sure would have looked a lot less like me talking to myself! :lol:

Lisa
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,871 Posts
If everyone would show some courtesy, the current situation would be good. However, some people:
1) can't follow the guideline of not bumping prior to 3 weeks (when they could just edit their original post, keeping all the pertinent information at the top of the thread and give the same information);
2) have a friend ask a simple question or say what a nice breeding, etc, etc.;
3) set up a new User ID and then "talk" to themselves.

I like seeing the pictures of the newborns and then an update of the pictures when the pups are growing....but this could still be done within the guideline time frame.

On another note that goes along the same lines of LVL's post, I recently was looking for a started or finished dog for one of my clients. I went back numerous pages in the Classisfieds and contacted those posters. Many times the dog had been sold, but I found some that were still available. So, just because the ad goes off the first page, doesn't necessarily mean that the ad is not still generating attention.

If people would notify me when their litter has been sold, I would be able to delete those ad which would possibly help to keep some ads on the first page.

Vicky

PS Thanks to those of you who have sent me PMs to notify me that your litter or other items have been sold so that the ad could be deleted. It makes my "housekeeping" easier than having to read each thread's title to see if the word SOLD has been added or if the last post states that it has been sold. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,767 Posts
Can you just zap obvious bumps, and new screen names "questions", not the ad, and tell people they have to wait 3 weeks. I bet they get the hint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
While not perfect, the current system is not too bad.

Is it possible to allow responses that would not bump the post?

Also might be nice to seperate the breeds, or offer a stud dog section. As crazy as it sounds-not everyone is looking for a yellow Lab.
I agree with John the responses are nice to read but some do appear to be taking advantage of it.
________
ultimate fighter
 
G

·
I haven't noticed the problem to be all that bad. And you could alleviate it by creating subforums for the various categories -- I think this would make it MUCH easier to follow as a user. I was trying to look at started dogs last night and I had to filter through all the puppy ads, which is kind of a pain.

If you separate at least a few major categories out, there will be LESS NEED for bumping... And it will be EASIER for users. I'd go with the standard WRC categories if I were you.

-Kristie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,222 Posts
Or, you could charge $25. for each litter listing and have them so they can't be bumped. RTF probably has the most viewed online puppy classifieds and it's free! Why not generate some cash to do what ever is needed to speed up the site!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,064 Posts
Even if the ads were made non-bumpable, there is still some "supervision" needed as the bumper could just start a new thread if their's started dropping to the bottom. No matter what way you go, there's always somebody going to try to skirt the rules.
I voted to leave as is.

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
Booty, I would gladly pay to use this site or to be able to post an ad on the classifieds if Chris ever wanted that. But, I think rtf being free is one of the biggest reasons it gets so many ads viewed (and submitted) and has so many great members who many of which contribute greatly to the success of this awesome site. I think the free helps make it good for many.

I personally like the ads being able to be bumped as long as it is within the guidelines. It makes it nice to be able to ask questions or give updates on availablility etc..

Travis------->just happy to have this site
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Andy Carlson said:
Even if the ads were made non-bumpable, there is still some "supervision" needed as the bumper could just start a new thread if their's started dropping to the bottom. No matter what way you go, there's always somebody going to try to skirt the rules.
I voted to leave as is.

Andy
I agree with Andy. I hate to see it change because a few allhoses abuse it, BUT I support whatever is the least stressful for Chris and Vicky, even if they chose to dump the classifieds all together, because it is they who lose hours of their life policing the allhoses. It does annoy me when someone's 1st and only post is an ad for a less than stellar litter of pups, but I reckon that's a small price to pay to hear about all the really good ones out there.
 
G

·
KJB said:
Andy Carlson said:
Even if the ads were made non-bumpable, there is still some "supervision" needed as the bumper could just start a new thread if their's started dropping to the bottom. No matter what way you go, there's always somebody going to try to skirt the rules.
I voted to leave as is.

Andy
I agree with Andy. I hate to see it change because a few allhoses abuse it, BUT I support whatever is the least stressful for Chris and Vicky, even if they chose to dump the classifieds all together, because it is they who lose hours of their life policing the allhoses. It does annoy me when someone's 1st and only post is an ad for a less than stellar litter of pups, but I reckon that's a small price to pay to hear about all the really good ones out there.
Just separate into categories and assign a new moderator for each section -- maybe the people that already police it!! By breaking it down, you're going to decrease the NEED TO BUMP. There's an ad at the top right now that's severely violating the rules, btw...

-K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Breaking it into categories would be a very good idea.

Stud service, started dogs, lab puppies, golden puppies, chessie puppies.

But what about some of the less frequent breeds, flat coat, water spaniel poodle? Whoul they be offended by an other category.

The guidelines should probably be redone to be more specific about when you can repost and handle the specific issues that are popping up as a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Hmm, "Northern Lights Kennel" does seem to be mucking things up for the rest of the folks. How bout zapping folks who do that kind of crap?

I'm willing to moderate the classifieds, but I hate to see it broken up into umpteen categories (maybe "pups" and "older dogs" works for me, just cuz I don't see that many stud ads on here).
Tina
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top