RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my dogs are in the house and seem to shed full time, the hair collects around the cages and I have to move the cages constantly to vacuum. Has anyone seen a crate that maybe has the bottom one third a solid wall so the hair would stay in the crate and vacuum inside of the crate.

Just thinking.

jeff

·
Registered
224 Posts
I haven't but that would be a great idea for a crate. Maybe you could fashion something to go around the sides.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not sure if this would help, but when I had pocket pets, I used coroplast on the outside of the cages to keep the shavings and bedding inside rather than have it all over the floor. Perhaps something like that with an underside to go under the kennel would help?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not exactly an answer to your question but have u ever tried a furminator? Can waaaay down on shedding in my dogs
Oh yea I furinate...but my one girl is one hairy beast.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Since my dogs are in the house and seem to shed full time, the hair collects around the cages and I have to move the cages constantly to vacuum. Has anyone seen a crate that maybe has the bottom one third a solid wall so the hair would stay in the crate and vacuum inside of the crate.

Just thinking.

jeff
every air crate I have ever seen has a solid bottom half....

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
every air crate I have ever seen has a solid bottom half....
Gavin,

I use the wire crates that are so open for ventilation. I guess I could use the other crate, but it seems to closed in the house. Imagine being in the house in mostly darkness. My dogs can see us all the time in the wire crates.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have never used the wire crates, but I see your point. I use air crates in the house and on my ranger, dog box on the truck has less openings. Generally if I am home and not sleeping the dogs are out anyways.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I've tried thinking of creating something as well for my wire kennel. I wonder though, if the hair itself would just stick itself back on the dog and he'd lose it after being let out. That probably doesn't sound too clear as I'm having problems with my words today.
ha

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've tried thinking of creating something as well for my wire kennel. I wonder though, if the hair itself would just stick itself back on the dog and he'd lose it after being let out. That probably doesn't sound too clear as I'm having problems with my words today.
ha
Actually it does, what I was thinking was a raised platform like the kennel decking that I use in my dog box on truck. To me the hair would collect around it and you could lift it and vacuum. Then again I have also thought about building a platform about 6" high that the crates could sit on and maybe the hair would drop to the floor and you could vacuum under the platform.

I guess if I just move the mongrels outside to the kennels I would not have to worry about the hair and dust....but Momma might have something to say about that.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
You ever vacuum the dog? My one loves it, but the other runs away like its going to kill her.

We do it daily with the one.
All three of mine have learned to LOVE being vacuumed:D:D:D. They come running when I turn it on. But, since I am only home one day a week, its not nearly enough. I too have considered some kind of enclosure for the bottom of my RTK crates. Or just stuffing pillow cases with it to make new pillows instead of going to Wal Mart when a dog tears one up..............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts