RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife is tired of the pup digging/chewing in the flower (more like shrub) garden and behind the a/c unit outside. so she poured cayenne pepper around and on the shrubs and the a/c unit (while i'm at work mind you). the pup of course got some in his nose and mouth and went crazy.

now i had always heard you used black pepper? is cayenne safe for dogs noses/mouth? just wanting to get it clarified before i commend her or chew her out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Put that puppy in a kennel and solve both your problems.
X2. In my world, pup is only out and about while supervised...otherwise, in a crate or a kennel. When Koda was 7-9 weeks old, he went into a crate, but that's just me...we did discover he'd be quiet in the crate if it was outside (in the shade, and cool springtime temperatures, mind you) so around 9 weeks old we put him in a kennel.

Be prepared to let him out every 3-4 hours, or whatever his potty schedule is...

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he is in his crate inside. this is all happening while he is out to potty or train.

yesterday while on his check cord he was ignoring feathers, dummies, and treat training because of that stupid bush. yes he is still a puppy but i'd like to think feathers made him more exciteable than a bush.

·
Registered
102 Posts
he is in his crate inside. this is all happening while he is out to potty or train.

yesterday while on his check cord he was ignoring feathers, dummies, and treat training because of that stupid bush. yes he is still a puppy but i'd like to think feathers made him more exciteable than a bush.
Gotcha....he is still a puppy, distractions are part of the deal right now. That bush must have something pretty special though! Sounds like you have a good plan with treat training, hallway retrievesn etc etc...keep at it. At some point the retrieveing game will consume him.

FYI, Koda destroyed a potted plant in less than a minute when on a check cord...hooked him to a concrete block to go get a dummy, gone less than a minute, and that plant was down to a single stalk....needless to say, my GF was not happy...oops

1 - 6 of 6 Posts