RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a sample bottle of CBD oil for pets. What is it used for. There is very little info on the container.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Years ago there were some that used it to treat soreness.
Rubbed on the outside. My opinion is there would be a lot
of uses if they were properly explored.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This bottle has a dropper and indicates that x drops are to be given orally. I wrote their Customer Service and wonder of wonders, got nothing. I was told they were prohibited by the government from offering advice on how to use it. The words used were like I was asking about using a prescription medication without a prescription . . . despite the fact that I got it over the counter on a free basis.

Guess I can talk to my pharmacist or maybe my veterinarian. It's no big deal but . . . .

Searching the Internet gives some very definite "maybe" kind of answers. I've got a little terrier mix that is afraid me even saying "thunderstorm". I'd love to use it on her for anxiety treatment. Might workfor her . . maybe.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
This bottle has a dropper and indicates that x drops are to be given orally. I wrote their Customer Service and wonder of wonders, got nothing. I was told they were prohibited by the government from offering advice on how to use it. The words used were like I was asking about using a prescription medication without a prescription . . . despite the fact that I got it over the counter on a free basis.

Guess I can talk to my pharmacist or maybe my veterinarian. It's no big deal but . . . .

Searching the Internet gives some very definite "maybe" kind of answers. I've got a little terrier mix that is afraid me even saying "thunderstorm". I'd love to use it on her for anxiety treatment. Might workfor her . . maybe.
Very little in the literature about CBD in dogs other than in epilepsy, there isn’t much to suggest it would be of benefit with thunderstorm anxiety. Trazadone might be a better choice Trazodone for Dogs: How Does It Work and When Is It Prescribed?

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very little in the literature about CBD in dogs other than in epilepsy, there isn’t much to suggest it would be of benefit with thunderstorm anxiety. Trazadone might be a better choice Trazodone for Dogs: How Does It Work and When Is It Prescribed?
Thank you. I shall talk to the vets at Carriage Hills about this. She really isn't a problem when a thunderstorm comes along. No tearing of the furniture or trying to dig a hole in the hardwood floors. It's just that she's so terrified that she hides behind a chair and shivers for hours. It's got to be uncomfortable and I feel the need to help her if I can. We've tried an OTC but it doesn't really work and about half the time she won't even take it, just goes behind the chair and shivers. I'll try to report back.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
This is some trivia that may not be true. Some animals are affected by eating raw marijuana unlike hunans. To make an edible for humans it has to go into an oven or something.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I shall talk to the vets at Carriage Hills about this. She really isn't a problem when a thunderstorm comes along. No tearing of the furniture or trying to dig a hole in the hardwood floors. It's just that she's so terrified that she hides behind a chair and shivers for hours. It's got to be uncomfortable and I feel the need to help her if I can. We've tried an OTC but it doesn't really work and about half the time she won't even take it, just goes behind the chair and shivers. I'll try to report back.
Have you tried a thunder shirt?

Meredith
Yes but it doesn't work on this one.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Yes but it doesn't work on this one.
Eric we live in a city where fireworks are approved and had a couple border collies who were deathly afraid of the fireworks (and thunderstorms). The dogs turned into drooling, shivering piles of mush on July 4, it was heartbreaking to see how much they were suffering.

Out of desperation, we ended up using a combination of Bach's Rescue Remedy for Dogs and CBD oil. We began dosing the dogs before the fireworks began, and then followed up with a couple of additional doses as necessary when the dogs were showing extreme symptoms again. Eventually, the combination of the two ended up being sedating for the dogs, and both ended up taking naps until the storm was over. We found if we waited until the dogs were already shivering, it was harder for the products to help - the dogs were so ramped up, it would have taken so much more to help them - if possible, it was always better to start late afternoon and then repeat doses another two or three times through the evening when the fireworks were booming. This combination truly was so helpful for us, we'll never be without it if we have a dog that is highly reactive to thunder or fireworks.

The rescue remedy is a homeopathic product, essence of some flower or other. We've used it for years for anxiety issues in dogs - say on a trip with a dog who has car anxiety.

Rescue Remedy® Pet

As you know CBD oil is also a natural product, and can help immensely. The reason there are few studies on it is that no research $$ was approved by the government because of the legal classification of cannabis. Now that many more states are legalizing it, the research is starting to trickle out.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts