RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I'm doing this dog justice or not...

Background: My uncle has a 2 year old yellow lab he got and hadn't trained it... she knows basic commands and is a sweet dog but bolts as soon as she gets out of the house. She's not a fan of coming back and I've tried to train my uncle about training her and being consistent with a standard and awnsered questions to no avail. I mentioned pick a program and follow it and it's not a money issue as I have Graham, Lardy, Rick's and willing to loan it to him and did but he didn't "have the time to watch". So to "correct" the bolting they wanted to get an e-fence and I urged them not to and said the dog needs to be conditioned to these things. My uncle knows I run hunt tests and have worked with others dogs in the past in exchange for help throwing marks. He got a tri tronics pro 500 g3 collar and I talked until I was blue in the mouth about how you need to collar condition but only after formal OB.

Situation: I love Labs more than most family members and more than anyone I work with. I've been through quite a bit and my dog was a staple for me. I broke down and offered to take the dog to CC her (not for him but for the dog because I like her and think she has tremendous potential). I'm active duty Marine Corps and now using my 3 weeks leave (haven't taken any more than 5 days in a row since 2008) to CC her.

Dilemma: I don't know if I'm doing more good for this dog by CC her and giving her back to him with a pretty solid assumption of he's not going to continue any training and the dog is going to sit in the house for hours (12 on average) while he goes to work, this is also why I think she's bolting when outside... she needs the exercise and consistent standard.

I know this is long winded I just have a hard time knowing how other folks are to their dogs and wish I could open a kennel but I got another year to take me to 10 years and not sure I'm going to stay in at this point.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Is the question, should I cc my uncle's dog? If so, the answer is yes. Then at least he will come when called. You might consider conditioning to here only. You should be able to do that in a few days and then reinforce over the rest of your leave.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may have my work cut out for me Wayne,

Did a little heel work, then "here" with front sit finish and she know's the commands but is constantly testing and acts timid only because the commands aren't commands at "home" there "options". We kept it short and she finished on a high note. She has the same tendency to want to freeze in place with the collar nicks but think she'll come through it as it's a learning process with any dog. I wish you had to apply for a license to own a dog and pass preliminary training to demonstrate you know the basic concepts to train dogs. My uncle had another dog, not a lab just one he picked up. He got rid of her and got another lab at 8 weeks old who is now 5 months and is smart and has it in her but sadly I think I'll be taking her in the future. I'd like to do it now before she picks up bad habits but she's a puppy and still "cute" so they don't want to let her go.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have my first retriever, and the hardest part of the initial training was getting over the fact that they are so cute and just lovable at that age. I had to keep reminding myself that those behaviors would not be so cute when he grew up to weigh 75 pounds, which is where he was yesterday at the vet. It's still hard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my first retriever, and the hardest part of the initial training was getting over the fact that they are so cute and just lovable at that age. I had to keep reminding myself that those behaviors would not be so cute when he grew up to weigh 75 pounds, which is where he was yesterday at the vet. It's still hard.
Believe me I got it, but loving your dog and appreciating the joys they bring also mean a responsibility to train them so that the quality of life is better and safer. It's like raising kids, you wouldn't let a kid skip school everyday because their cute, same with young pup they both need it to succeed.

Ex: you can yell and scream at your dog everyday like an idiot for what you taught through indirect learning, OR TEACH them the ground rules/limits and be consistent so you enjoy eachothers company

I may sound like a hardass but assure you I love my dogs, they live the life and goto work with me or the beach/park with their Mom and sleep on a temperpedic bed, boneless chicken in their purina pro plan and the occasional ice cream or happy meal after a long day of hunting or test.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I know what you mean. Your responsibility is to teach them what you want them to know, and you will own what you condone.

I still chuckle when I get sideways looks about his collar or making him sit when there are lots of people around - you know, because I don't "let him be a dog," whatever that means. If they only knew just how good he had it at home. And he likes the Tempurpedic pretty good too. :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean. Your responsibility is to teach them what you want them to know, and you will own what you condone.

I still chuckle when I get sideways looks about his collar or making him sit when there are lots of people around - you know, because I don't "let him be a dog," whatever that means. If they only knew just how good he had it at home. And he likes the Tempurpedic pretty good too. :)
I hear ya Rookie,

Sometimes family doesn't even understand, and I rarely RARELY use the collar. I exhaust attrition before indirect pressure and "nicking" the dog. I know that's not the typical, and not one or Lardy's main rules but I think reading the dog and making a judgement call on how to train a dog is more important, sometimes you have to use those methods but it's not a cookie cutter deal either. It's still inline with Lardy's concept and not jumping program to program so I think we've made a good run so far. Amazing how dogs teach us and are that smart to be patient with us while we learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts