Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ? Depends on Dog (Dependites)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What level do you start at with your CC. Mike Lardy recommends 4 and then adjust to the reaction of your dog. Evan Graham recommends to start at 1 and progress up. 10-Minute Retriever says to start at 2,3, or 4 depending on how you think your dog has reacted to other forms of pressure and that starting at 1 and progressing up will condition the dog to the different levels and you won't get a good feel for each level.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I voted for "It Depends"...

I am of the school of thought that if the first "shock" means something, you can go up or down in levels and every shock will mean something. Whereas, starting at the bottom and going up until you find a level that means something (gets a reaction from the dog) will result in you staying at, or above, that level from that point forward.

I used to be set on starting on 5 and going down... ultimately staying with the lowest level necessary. But now i lean towards reading the dog and starting at the lowest level you are confident will get a reaction.

Shayne

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Generally speaking, I start at #3.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I'm with amiable. I ususally start at a 3 and work up. I've never had a dog work lower than a 4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using a Dogtra for CC. I started out on a 30 and worked up from there. I get the impression the collar is a little hotter than the TT I've used in the past.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The level the dog cocks his head as if to say "What's that?".

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
On most of my dogs I use Lardy's method, though I start on a #3. I do have dogs that I use Evans method on instead.

Angie

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
The only reason I find the Super Retriever series a bit painful to watch is that it grates on me to see handler after handler scream at the top of their lungs when sending their dogs! It drives me nuts! :shock:

I have a general philosophical drive in the stimulus/response area. I simply describe it as "Get a lot out of a little". If you adequately sensitize your dog during CC, you should get appropriate responses to e-corrections using lower stimulus.

I liken it to those guys who yell all their commands. What do they do when they are in need of emphasis? If you always blow a big blast from your whistle, what will you do - what will you change for emphasis?

If you habitually operate near the peak of a dog's sensitivity scale, you may find little room to accentuate a correction when it would have mattered a great deal. All crimes are not created equal.

Evan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts