RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please clear up a query of mine.

Why did Lean Mac have a CERF number if he is a Category E.

Just wondering, does not make sense to me.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
He obviously had a cataract they they felt was not a "juvenile cataract" (what they consider the inherited kind) but one caused by a puncture in the eye or some sort of injury to the eye.

I may have been picked up as he got older or he may have gotten it when he was younger and it never progressed.

WRL

K

·
0 Posts
categories are things that are noted as "breeder's option". They are not prevalent enough in the breed to be denied a cerf number, but they are noted just for the sake of breeding.

a couple of our maxx offspring are also category e -- punctate posterior sutures. But it should never affect their vision or performance during their lifetime.

-kristie

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Same way with Entropion...
Dogs still get a CERF #, but the Entropion is noted.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Catagory E simply means there was a lens anomaly. Many juvenile opacities probably do not have any visual significance. CERF is mostly concerned with genetically inherited ocular disorders, such as PRA and Retinal Dysplasia. Certain cataracts are genetically linked. Many lens opacities in dogs and humans are linked to developmental "injuries" during gestation. Maternal stress during gestation can interfere with proper lens development and opacities can occur. This could be the result of a maternal infecton or other stressor. In any case, these opacites would not be passed on to future generations.

Any ocular trauma significant enough to cause a cataract in a dog, would likely result in marked visual impairment. It would be unlikely a dog would be able to further compete in field trials.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

But I AM STILL CONFUSED. Every so often I have a look at the WRC site to browse the labrador puppy sales.

The ad will advise that the sire or dam has a CERF, but when I check, the CERF may have been done 3 years prior. How can they advertise dogs, carrying a CERF number if it is not current.

Is PRA (PRA can have a late age onset) still a problem with working labradors? Why not have the blood test if in doubt, especially who would want to breed potentially blind pups?

Is it not also so, that the folds re: retinal dysplasia can correct with age?
and is only easily detectable in very young pups.

And lastly how come nearly every ad can guarantee eyes?

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Hey Aussie,

"Guarantee" is a misnomer....it really should be "warranty" as no one can guarantee that a dog will NOT have something develop with its eyes or elbows or hips. What it means to us, is that if something SHOULD develop that the owner of said dog gets a replacement dog or money back or something of that sort. Basically, we can not fix a dog with a problem but we can assure a puppy buyer that we will replace a defective pup with one that is not defective or return the puppy price.

MOST ads do not make dogs have current CERFs. A CERF certificate sometime in the life of the dog is all that is often required.

YES, a pup with RD can grow out of them or they can become less visable. That is why I CERF all my pups before they go to their new homes. That is why people should CERF pups when they are little. MOST people do not, and wait until the dog is an adult.

PRA is not typically a problem in field lines that is more of a show dog thing. However, cataracts are a problem and juvenile cataracts although they usually show up before 18 months of age can wait as late as 5-6 yeas before they are truly visable.

Hope this helps a bit.

Lee

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Re: Genetics ain't trivial

Keith Stroyan said:
Genetics IS confusing - and the main genes I'm interested in are the "talent" genes...
Amen!!!!
too bad we can't identify those w/ DNA analysis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts