RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a question about retinal folds about 3 months ago and got some great replies. Long story short....I have a 26 month old lab, went to have eye test done as to get a cerf number. Was told he had retinal fold in right eye. Was instructed to have DNA test done through OPTIGEN to make sure he didnt posses the bad genefor RD/OSD. Results came back that he was a carrier but there is no chance for blindness or the dwarf gene. So I knew cerf would probably give him BREEDER OPTION number. Well, I was surprised when they sent my check back and told me he was not eleigible for cerf because of retinal dysplasia--folds. Well I knew he had that before the vet instructed me to have the DNA test done. I surely would not have spent the money if i had known it was already a done deal. Anyone else have experience with this. Is this a done deal that i cant appeal?

·
Registered
533 Posts
If he was clear of RD/OSD, then they would have given him a CERF number. Because he is a carrier, then they won't give him a number. He does indeed have one "bad gene" for RD/OSD.

Sorry that you got these results. I know how it feels.

Marcy

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would want to breed a dog that could possibly pass on a known problem to some of the pups and any pups they might have. I think that it is the responsiobility of a breeder to protect the breed when ever possible. IMO

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
I posted a question about retinal folds about 3 months ago and got some great replies. Long story short....I have a 26 month old lab, went to have eye test done as to get a cerf number. Was told he had retinal fold in right eye. Was instructed to have DNA test done through OPTIGEN to make sure he didnt posses the bad genefor RD/OSD. Results came back that he was a carrier but there is no chance for blindness or the dwarf gene. So I knew cerf would probably give him BREEDER OPTION number. Well, I was surprised when they sent my check back and told me he was not eleigible for cerf because of retinal dysplasia--folds. Well I knew he had that before the vet instructed me to have the DNA test done. I surely would not have spent the money if i had known it was already a done deal. Anyone else have experience with this. Is this a done deal that i cant appeal?

Its a done deal. If your dogs has folds or retinal dyplasia you are not going to get a CERF number. Regardless. Of whether your dog is a carrier or not of odd/rd.

Wrl

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
If he was clear of RD/OSD, then they would have given him a CERF number. Because he is a carrier, then they won't give him a number. He does indeed have one "bad gene" for RD/OSD.

Sorry that you got these results. I know how it feels.

Marcy
This is inaccurate.

Wrl

·
Registered
533 Posts
Lee-doesn't a dog get a CERF number with retinal folds (that are not geographic) as long as they are clear of RD/OSD?

I know one can use the terms retinal dysplasia and retinal folds interchangeably...I don't, as I think that's inaccurate.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
According to Optigen, you get can get CERF results changed after a diagnosis of retinal folds in Labrador retrievers and Samoyeds if the dog does not possess the mutation that causes the fold. However, your dog carries the gene.

From Optigen (6/7/2012, http://www.optigen.com/opt9_rdosd.html):

CERF Certification for Labradors or Samoyeds with Retinal Folds: The breeding advice for Labrador Retrievers and Samoyeds diagnosed with "retinal dysplasia - folds" will be changed from "No" to "Breeder option" if the owner of the dog provides the CERF office with results of the DNA test for the affected dog, showing that it is not a carrier of the oculoskeletal dysplasia (OSD) mutation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry to hear this about your dog. I have an 8 year old that I would love to have a pup off of but I had her fixed due to her having folds. What pisses me off is most of use are doing the right things to improve the breed and their are some, I know 2, that are still breeding their dog and passing on these things. 2 people I know both have dogs with bad hips but continue to breed. Screwed up.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Sorry about your CERF results....if you find other dogs that are RD/OSD CLEAR you would still be able to breed your dog. Pending other clearances, and that the folds were the ONLY CERF issue, of course. Sometimes making breeding decisions is a precarious balancing act. If you dog is a rock star in the field , has good structure(part of my equation), and has the other necessary clearances, you then make educated decisions. DNA testing is one of the most valuable tools we have! Your biggest problem is that he is a boy and the girls go to the boys , not the other way around.....
Is this a show bred dog or field bred dog? Would you mind sharing the pedigree by PM?
Good luck with your decisions...
Bridget

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Sorry about your CERF results....if you find other dogs that are RD/OSD CLEAR you would still be able to breed your dog. Pending other clearances, and that the folds were the ONLY CERF issue, of course. Sometimes making breeding decisions is a precarious balancing act. If you dog is a rock star in the field , has good structure(part of my equation), and has the other necessary clearances, you then make educated decisions. DNA testing is one of the most valuable tools we have! Your biggest problem is that he is a boy and the girls go to the boys , not the other way around.....
Is this a show bred dog or field bred dog? Would you mind sharing the pedigree by PM?
Good luck with your decisions...
Bridget
Even then 50% of the puppies are expected to inherit the mutation, and these puppies will likely develop retinal folds and have vision deficits.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Do folds affect vision? I thought not.......if that is the case , disregard my post above....

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Lee-doesn't a dog get a CERF number with retinal folds (that are not geographic) as long as they are clear of RD/OSD?

I know one can use the terms retinal dysplasia and retinal folds interchangeably...I don't, as I think that's inaccurate.
Fold = no CERF and shows as such on the updated yes/no/option list...I believe my ACVO said they are taking a harder stance.

http://www.vmdb.org/dx.html
There have been many questions recently about the certifiability of dogs with retinal folds. Retinal folds may be seen in many breeds and still pass a CERF examination and receive a CERF number. This is due to the fact that the condition is thought either not to be hereditary in the particular breed or has never been shown to be connected to serious (blinding) forms of dysplasia. In some breeds, particularly Labrador Retrievers, Samoyeds, and English Springer Spaniels, individuals with retinal folds are NOT given a CERF number. Since retinal dysplasia is common in these breeds and dogs and bitches with retinal folds can have puppies with blindness and/or skeletal problems the gene should not be perpetuated. In all breeds, individuals with geographic and retinal detachment forms of retinal dysplasia are NOT certifiable.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ok-I was under the understanding that it was what Mitty posted on the previous page.

As for vision affecting...depends on where the fold is, is what my CERF vet told me.

I spayed my young dog after she was Dx with Retinal Dysplasia. No vision issues with her whatsoever. But the location of the dysplasia is not in her line of sight. She picks out the long trial marks no problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried to PM you but it would not let me. Maybe u can message me and i can respond. I would be happy to discuss his pedigree with u.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Fold = no CERF and shows as such on the updated yes/no/option list...I believe my ACVO said they are taking a harder stance.

http://www.vmdb.org/dx.html
There have been many questions recently about the certifiability of dogs with retinal folds. Retinal folds may be seen in many breeds and still pass a CERF examination and receive a CERF number. This is due to the fact that the condition is thought either not to be hereditary in the particular breed or has never been shown to be connected to serious (blinding) forms of dysplasia. In some breeds, particularly Labrador Retrievers, Samoyeds, and English Springer Spaniels, individuals with retinal folds are NOT given a CERF number. Since retinal dysplasia is common in these breeds and dogs and bitches with retinal folds can have puppies with blindness and/or skeletal problems the gene should not be perpetuated. In all breeds, individuals with geographic and retinal detachment forms of retinal dysplasia are NOT certifiable.
But was that written before or after the gene in labradors was identified? It is linked from a page talking about 1996. I'm wondering if this is just a page they left on their server that is no longer referenced, as I can't find a path to it from the CERF homepage. What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Do folds affect vision? I thought not.......if that is the case , disregard my post above....
Not as much as people think. I remember an amateur where the bitch running had been diagnosed with massive folds in both eyes, unfortunately not done as a puppy but around 14 months? so she had been trained. The amateur was difficult and that bitch could mark and she pinpointed the birds. The owner said she never had problems. She was not bred but she was an FC

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
A Labrador with focal folds can get a cerf number with a clear test result. A Labrador with geographic folds cannot get a cerf number regardless of the test result.
Yep this.

Dogs with rd/folds may have affected eyesight or may not. Case by case. A dog with the mild firm can produce severely affected offspring though.

Wrl

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just had a bitch diagnosed with folds, (non Lab), the vet was very concerned and checked with Cerf, and latercalled to imform me that the girl could receive a CERF #. She also told me that where the folds were there would be blind spots in this girl's vision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts