RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this has been posted.

From the 11/20 AKC Board meeting:

Change to the Retriever Hunting Test Regulations to provide for clubs to set aside either 25% or 35% of entries at the club's choice, for amateur handlers in a limited entry of Master Hunter tests. This will allow amateurs the ability to enter Master levels tests. Currently the entries are being filled by professional handlers entering many dogs. This situation had undermined amateur involvement in the sport. This was unanimously approved.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Something about it was posted a few weeks ago, before it was finalized I think.
The question then and now is, "How it be enforced?.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's really easy to enforce. When an amateur handler complains, the AKC will act. Depending on the circumstances, the club will be punished.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
It's really easy to enforce. When an amateur handler complains, the AKC will act. Depending on the circumstances, the club will be punished.
That is what I and others in my club suspected and the reason we will not do it. If I am marshaling I have no desire to check when every dog was entered and by who, not even sure how it could be verified.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Clubs that are members of the Master Amateur Retriever club have been verifying handler's Amateur status for several years now. If your club is a member, and you will not do what is necessary, you should not marshal Master. Instead, marshal Senior, Junior, or help your club in some other way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just make the am early entries be handled by owner only. This takes away the opportunity to cheat the system.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Clubs that are members of the Master Amateur Retriever club have been verifying handler's Amateur status for several years now. If your club is a member, and you will not do what is necessary, you should not marshal Master. Instead, marshal Senior, Junior, or help your club in some other way.
Currently we do not have to verify who entered a dog and on what date. The new early entry option for amateurs would require that, would it not?
Either way I have not desire to marshal a hunt test.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
My apology. It appeared that you were, based on your post.
Just a hypothetical. Do you not see a problem with clubs having to keep track of who entered what dog on what day?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Again, no. We have been doing so for years.
The clubs know who the Pros are.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Again, no. We have been doing so for years.
The clubs know who the Pros are.
What we have here is failure to communicate.
You are the marshal, event chair, whatever.
A pro walks up with a dog. How do you know who entered that dog and on what day?

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
A pro walks up with a dog. How do you know who entered that dog and on what day?
The failure of communication is yours
The rule is to regulate who handles then dog; NOT who enters the dog

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The failure of communication is yours
The rule is to regulate who handles then dog; NOT who enters the dog
So pros can fill the event with entries as long as 25% or 35% of them are handled by amateurs?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It is obvious that you have never been an AKC Hunt test secretary and that you do not understand the interactions between the Test Secretary and Entry Express that take place when an event is opened for accepting entries. That is when who entered the dog is determined.
On the day of the test, the marshal has a sheet that indicates which dogs are slated to be handled by a Pro.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Hopefully, someone from MARC will participate in this discussion. It is not the big deal you are making it out to be.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Hopefully, someone from MARC will participate in this discussion. It is not the big deal you are making it out to be.
That would be great, not having seen the rule I have no idea if it is a big deal or not.
That is when who entered the dog is determined.
mjh says who entered the dog doesn't matter.
On the day of the test, the marshal has a sheet that indicates which dogs are slated to be handled by a Pro.
Multiple handlers are often listed, including both pros and amateurs.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
"Multiple handlers are often listed, including both pros and amateurs."
True, if a Pro is listed and the Amateur decides to handle the dog it is on them to report it to the marshal. The dog must be handled by an amateur in all series for a pass to count towards the Invitational.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
if a Pro is listed and the Amateur decides to handle the dog it is on them to report it to the marshal.
So now they also have to report that they entered under the new 25% - 35% rule?
There is even some debate in our club as to whether we should be a MN club.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Rest assured, someone will find a way to cheat the rule!
& not be punished.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts