RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
Either way I have not desire to marshal a hunt test.
I can be kinda fun. Not as much as shooting the live birds. But better than hiding in a bush planting a land blind. And by the time the dog jumps off of the tailgate all these pro/am decisions have been made. I do not mind the task. But oddly, have been told I intimidated a handler or two over the years. Still don't understand how that could happen?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Has anyone seen this enforced yet? I assume the EE would be the only way to do it sign-up date (they have designations for A or P handlers). I have a test coming to sign-up this week. I'm sure it will still be the race for the start at 7:58 pm wednesday night?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Has anyone seen this enforced yet? I assume the EE would be the only way to do it sign-up date (they have designations for A or P handlers). I have a test coming to sign-up this week. I'm sure it will still be the race for the start at 7:58 pm wednesday night?
The early entry for Am's does not go into effect until April 1, 2021. Am's will be allowed to enter a day before the event opens for the masses. Club members with entry codes will be allowed to enter first, before the Am's. On EE, you are required to designate if you are am Am or pro. This is what will determine when you can enter. Am's can enter their dog and have another am run it. The rule applies ONLY to entering. Will some work to game the rule ? Of course, but it is a start.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
The way I had read it when the am. Enters they are the only Hadler allowed. Because I thought the same I think I even posted the same on the last Thread about this and was proved wrong with more careful reading

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Reading through this thread reinforces my opposition to ever offering the 25 to 35% amateur entry at our hunt test.
I will say that our club has been fortunate.
Pros have always filled our master tests tests. They’ve been very courteous, waiting in several days before entering. Amateurs have had ample opportunity to enter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Seems to be some confusion here. Rule goes into effect April 1st. Before that club has the option of implementing the rule. After April 1st clubs MUST implement the rule. Clubs have the option of opening 25% or 35 % of the entries to Amateurs 24 hrs prior to the normal opening. ie on Tuesday at 8.00pm entries open for those with codes and for the chosen percentage of amateurs. If the allotment fills before Wednesday at 8.00 a handler will have to wait until the regular opening. If the allotment doesn’t fill, those slots are fair game for anybody after the normal opening.

If an amateur handler enters prior to the usual opening, that handler MUST handle that dog. If he or she cannot another amateur handler may .

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Can someone post a link or the actual wording of the rule?

·
Registered
12,324 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Glad to see this in the rule, although I would have worded it a little different.
"Any handler/owner misusing the amateur set aside provision will forfeit the ability to to enter in this manner and may be subject to a fine from the AKC"

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Well E-mailed the club sect. they said it was their understanding it wasn't in affect yet. So obviously there is conflicting information. Sucks Because only thing I care about is finishing qualification for Master Am. Qualification for that ends on March 1st. Usually there are about 8-10 possible tests before then; this year, If there are no more cancellations there's only 2 double master events more. Hope I can get in; After March 1st I won't care anymore; pros can have it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Next we need some rules help the trash breeds, Peaks, flats, Goldens, chocolates, etc.
They should get a ribbon for doing like 60 or 70% of what a real retriever does.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
The entry service is required to only accept entries from amateur users and only one Amateur handler can be listed on the entry during the 24 hour period before general opening.
Edit:
In addition, the catalog is required to show which dogs were entered during the set aside period.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is obvious that you have never been an AKC Hunt test secretary and that you do not understand the interactions between the Test Secretary and Entry Express that take place when an event is opened for accepting entries. That is when who entered the dog is determined.
On the day of the test, the marshal has a sheet that indicates which dogs are slated to be handled by a Pro.
Interesting responses all. The previous rule of clubs setting aside a percentage for workers was a step in the right direction and did help in getting amateurs into the tests. Personally, i applaud AKC performance division for making this rule change. Sure there will be issues to resolve, but in the end i believe the Amateurs will still have a better chance at entering. I believe there is a 24 hour period for only ams to enter - then open to anyone. Correct??

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I believe there is a 24 hour period for only ams to enter - then open to anyone. Correct??
I believe that is correct.
From Tara with EE;
"The programming for the new AKC guidelines is set to launch on April 1, 2021"
I am guessing there will just be another box to check for the 25% or 35% amateur entry options.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts