RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build a kennel but want to keep the cost down. What should I use as a floor?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I looked at 12"x12" pavers, they came out to more money per sq foot than a 4" thick slab if you prepped ground and finished the concrete yourself.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try a near bye farmer to see if they have old stall mats where the stantions are (I.e. milking cows steer farmers probably wont have them). They are usually 3/4 thick heavy duty black rubber. That's what we've always used and they work great! Just have to cut them to size and probably pressure wash them lol.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I looked at 12"x12" pavers, they came out to more money per sq foot than a 4" thick slab if you prepped ground and finished the concrete yourself.
And you don't have to deal with the crevices collecting in between the pavers. Try to find yourself a sweet deal where there is leftover from a job....

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I will be pouring another 6x12 slab this spring for sure....Gonna have to go with a little heavier gauge panels though..... :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Build an elevated deck use rough sawn Oak, not pressure treated pine, keep a coat of water based stain on the oak, will last for years.
Leave a 1 inch gap between the slats for easy clean up with no space in the front and entrance to dog house.
put a base of lime underneath to neutralize the odor.
Dogs love it cool in Summer warm in winter
Easy to build and can be taken apart and moved if built with galvanized deck screws

·
Registered
932 Posts
I will be pouring another 6x12 slab this spring for sure....Gonna have to go with a little heavier gauge panels though..... :cool:
Yes, kennel size does matter. I only have a 10x10, so it was much cheaper for me to buy a ton of gravel, spread it out, ton of sand, spread it out, and buy the pavers, and lay them, then put sand in the gaps between the pavers.

I do not have the know how to pour / lay / finish concrete myself, plus, I did not meet the minimum purchase, so concrete was much more expensive for me.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Small gravel with the epoxy lock on top, makes it sturdy washable and have traction. Have to prep just like concrete though.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
wanna go the stall mat route try this....

Most gravel quarries have piles of used goodyear belting(rock conveyors) that they give away for free. About the same weight and feel as a stall mat except it is reinforced with a fabric between layers. No dog will ever chew through the first..

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
6'x12'x.3333'=24 cu-ft = 36 80# sacks of concrete @ $2.99 each = 108 bucks

No brainer if you ask me. Dirt work has to be done either way, I did more or less a surface pour with 1/2" per foot of drainage. 2x4 frame was cheap and I reused the lumber for other projects. Finished with a straight 2x6 across the top then very lightly broomed and edged. Had an old timer that knew what he was doing come over and supervise (aka drink all the beer) while I worked. Done in an afternoon.

Point is I had less that 150 bucks into doing it the right way, not the "cheaper alternative".

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home

Has stall mat materials in cut to fit, and pre-cut sizes in a variety of thickness. Other material they sell is poultry flooring and I've seen it used for dog runs too.
The poultry flooring works well for smaller dogs but if used for larger dogs it will need to be put on a sturdy frame. Just my thought from using it for smaller dogs. Very expensive but very good is something called "Tenderfoot" I think. Not sure about keeping a dog on it all the time though as we never used it. I like wood planks with a good floor type paint ( quarter inch spacing on planks). I think the lime underneath would work well even though we never tried that.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
kennel deck 2'x4' $34 ish ...price drops the more you get. GREAT draineage , VERY hardy, pretty well chew proof, disinfectable...etc etc ...really good stuff

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Whatever you decide to use, do not use cement! It will blow away quickly.
Concrete is a much better choice. :p

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
if you own the real estate already.....dirt is cheaper than anything else, but it is a maintenance nightmare.

there is no alternative, suck it up and pour the slab. i was gonna say, "what kind of shotgun do you shoot? you could have poured a slab for what you spent on that 400explore!" but i see your handle is remi870....i shoot 870 too! how are you gonna spend the tax refund? what you getting for your birthday? would you deliver pizza for a month? don't buy the 20oz drink at the convenience store for two months. there is a way.....do it right you will not regret it. and finish smooooooooth inside the run with light broom where you run the water hose from.;)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts