RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought him two years ago, thought I had done all of my homework on the pedigree and health clearances.

So it came time to get his hips and elbows certified, I took him in and this is what I came back with...(see attachments).

Now the breeder is not standing behind his guarantee.

Any question about who & where the dog came from, pm me.

Quint Broome

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Sorry this has happened. Bad elbows are worse than bad hips IMO.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Quint,

I have a male with a grade 2 and a grade 3 elbow. He is now 8 and runs hunt tests. I can give you some recommendations to help minimize and slow arthritic changes. Feel free to PM me or email me.

Sue Puff

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Bought him two years ago, thought I had done all of my homework on the pedigree and health clearances.

So it came time to get his hips and elbows certified, I took him in and this is what I came back with...(see attachments).

Quint Broome

Very sorry----Were the certs/health clearances from the parents, or the pup? Makes a big difference. Did the breeder provide you with x-ray info on them?

Feel your pain, but take care of your pup. There are options.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Wow. Was he limping at all or was this completely unexpected? Hope you can get things worked out with the breeder.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quint Broome
Where you given any options for repairing the elbows?

·
Registered
377 Posts
noob post here- does anyony have any examples of what good elbows look like for comparison? I see differences in the two images above, but I don't have a point of reference.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

Quint Broome
Dysplastic elbows can happen to any of us at any time, both as owners and breeders. I've faced it more than once.

Here's the link to the OFA with more information
http://offa.org/ed_types.html

According to OFA:
"Multiple studies support the theory that the various components of ED are heritable. The heritability index and incidence
varies by the breed, component and population studied. It appears that the disorder is inherited polygenically with development
being multifactorial. Both environmental factors and the additive effect of many genes contribute to expression."

Polygenic meaning, "Coming from more than one ("poly") gene pair. These traits are more complex than the typical dominant or recessive genetic trait. The additive interaction of the genes can cause variable results and the gene can be easily passed on to other generations without being identified."

I am sorry that that if your terms of your contract with the breeder covers elbow dysplasia that your breeder is not working with you. Many breeders do not even offer a guarantee on elbows because of the environmental factor that can influence the development of ED.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was sorry to hear this when Bree told me. That is awful for the nice young dog he is. The breeder should hold their end of the agreement especially considering how the dog has done and the efforts you placed in creating a finished level dog with one of there pups.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Did OFA give a rating on the elbows? I noticed on OFA mother and grandmother do not have elbow numbers. When did you do the elbows? Did the xrays fall out side his guarantee time? Is that what the problem is?

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's terrible. In a couple weeks, one of my dogs is supposed to be tested as well. I would be heart broken if something like that showed up. Hope the breeder wises up and does what's right.

I was just wondering what the breeder's guarantee is on your dog?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very sorry----Were the certs/health clearances from the parents, or the pup? Makes a big difference. Did the breeder provide you with x-ray info on them?

Feel your pain, but take care of your pup. There are options.
The health clearance is from the parents. No, he only owns the dam. He showed OFA numbers on the hip and states that the elbows were normal. Me, being fairly new to knowing health clearances, I did not realize to look at the OFA numbers for elbows but I do now.

Quint

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear that Quint. Did all of his other health clearances check out?? He is one nice dog to have to find this out now....
No, his hips did not check out either. They said the hips would rate "fair" at best.

Quint

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
noob post here- does anyony have any examples of what good elbows look like for comparison? I see differences in the two images above, but I don't have a point of reference.
No, I do not have pictures of good elbows. His left elbow is worse than his right but the fragments should not be sticking out, they should be well rounded.

Quint

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dyplastic elbows can happen to any of us at any time, both as owners and breeders. I've faced it more than once.

Here's the link to the OFA with more information
http://offa.org/ed_types.html

According to OFA:
"Multiple studies support the theory that the various components of ED are heritable. The heritability index and incidence
varies by the breed, component and population studied. It appears that the disorder is inherited polygenically with development
being multifactorial. Both environmental factors and the additive effect of many genes contribute to expression."

Polygenic meaning, "Coming from more than one ("poly") gene pair. These traits are more complex than the typical dominant or recessive genetic trait. The additive interaction of the genes can cause variable results and the gene can be easily passed on to other generations without being identified."

I am sorry that that if your terms of your contract with the breeder covers elbow dysplasia that your breeder is not working with you. Many breeders do not even offer a guarantee on elbows because of the environmental factor that can influence the development of ED.
Thanks for the link. I have already looked into the link. After the x-rays, my first question was to the vet was did I cause this in training or anything else. They said no, strictly genetic.

Quint

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.