RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to get a good retriever to run in hunt tests, and (hopefully) field trials. I am pretty sure a chessie is my top pick, but throwing this out there to you guys. I can't seem to find many toller people who put MH titles on their dogs. I've found a few, but they aren't that often and those people are hard to get in touch with. Also, I'm pretty sure there are zero FC's. I'm a little worried I'll get a dud toller.
As far as chessies go, there are many more people that put MH titles and not that any FC's. Quite a few QAA's though.
Before the lab and golden people speak up, let me say nothing against your breeds, but I plan on showing it in conformation also, and the show people have killed your breeds. (Maybe some backlash for that comment)
almost all of you are more connected in the retriever world than I am, if you know some good breeders along these lines I would love to get their info to speak with them.

i hope I didn't offend anyone.
regards

·
Registered
79 Posts
Adam and Andrew have proven themselves in their training over and over. That is my first pick for a dog trainer, not sure why you would say otherwise, especially since you have never used them yourself and the one dog you know that they've trained is doing well and the owner is happy with his training. You can see the proof on entry express.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I thought about getting a Chessie for a while. Lots of great info and really nice people over on http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/groupee/forums

Here is a thread on here where I asked the same question about chessie's
http://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...ake-Bay-Retriever-Advice-and-help-appreciated

Good luck on finding your pup. Only advice I can give you is if you really want a Chessie that can compete in FT you need to be very patient and wait for the right breeding. The only true proven QAA to FC breeding I found they wanted $4500 a pup for so also be prepared to pay if you want proven lines since they are so few and far between.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I thought about getting a Chessie for a while. Lots of great info and really nice people over on http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/groupee/forums

Here is a thread on here where I asked the same question about chessie's
http://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...ake-Bay-Retriever-Advice-and-help-appreciated

Good luck on finding your pup. Only advice I can give you is if you really want a Chessie that can compete in FT you need to be very patient and wait for the right breeding. The only true proven QAA to FC breeding I found they wanted $4500 a pup for so also be prepared to pay if you want proven lines since they are so few and far between.
Mostly good info, you can get a quality pup for much less than that, if you want THE current field trial line you probably will pay that, supply is very low and demand very high. If you are a "beginner" to FTs you probably wouldn't get on the list anyway. There are several other lines competing in FTs across the country and do well. There are some that will charge you a handsome sum for a show title only dog and say its "Field Proven". I went with HT field lines and show lines and ended up with a really nice dog at a very reasonable price. She hasn't won anything yet though but I am impressed with her training at 10mos, more than I could have hoped for and enough dog for my training skills. I'll PM you my email if you want to talk specifics.

This was the national field trial specialty this summer.
http://www.amchessieclub.org/specialties2/FieldTrial14Washington/schedule.htm

Peruse the Open and Am stakes and you will see names/dogs of performers. Puppy stakes had some pretty good dogs too :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Where are you located? If you are close to some chessie people then maybe you can go talk to them and watch them in events.

Russell

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Same thing where are you from and do your home work before you do anything. Mike Coutu is having a breeding with his chessie Tosie. He runs field trials with his chessies and has produced and trained two FC/AFC's and numerous all age. No bullshit here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in Georgia. I've found a couple people on gundogbreeders, but none that do anything with their dogs. I'm planning on finding an upcoming hunt test and/or field trial around here, and maybe get some face to face education. Thank you everyone, the advise is appreciated!

·
Registered
977 Posts
You might want to look at Lance Vines, Duck Band Retrievers, in Jonesboro, Arkansas. His male Dually is a GRHRCH/MH. I have a Dually daughter who at 3 has 9 MH passes, is 20 points short of her HRCH, and a derby 3rd.

I've only heard good about Next Generation and they are doing some nice things with dual purpose chessies.

Alan Luthy is at the Master National with a couple of dogs, at least one is a CH/MH. Rippling Waters Chesapeakes in Florida.

The Shaws, Blackwater Chesapeakes, do field trials and have some show success too I think.

Check out www.teamchesapeake.com for direct contact with chessie people, litter information, and upcoming breedings.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I am a toller breeder. I can count on two fingers how many tollers have competed successfully in Qual in Field Trials. One is in Canada. One is in the USA. Once they got their Qual title they stopped playing the FT game.

If your torn between getting a chessie or a toller... with the fact that you want to compete in FT, no toller breeder worth getting a pup from will sell you a toller.

Get a chessie.

End of story.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your torn between getting a chessie or a toller... with the fact that you want to compete in FT, no toller breeder worth getting a pup from will sell you a toller.

Get a chessie.

End of story.
Not sure what you mean by that

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Not sure what you mean by that
"They" say you must marry the breeders homely daughter the get a quality NSDTR.
But to get a quality Chessey all you need to do is best the homely daughter arm wrestling!
My Chessey is a Coutu pup. I'd call Mike again in a second. Of course I had a handshake deal and a 2 year wait. It was worth it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Same thing where are you from and do your home work before you do anything. Mike Coutu is having a breeding with his chessie Tosie. He runs field trials with his chessies and has produced and trained two FC/AFC's and numerous all age. No bullshit here.
What Mike said!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ahoy there Cpt. Rum, get on entry express and look at field trials and hunt tests, many in south Ga. and Ala. in the fall.
Go watch the dogs run and have fun. Remember, if you get a chessie and want to compete you should have enormous amounts of patience and cash!!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
629 Posts
I live in Georgia. I've found a couple people on gundogbreeders, but none that do anything with their dogs. I'm planning on finding an upcoming hunt test and/or field trial around here, and maybe get some face to face education. Thank you everyone, the advise is appreciated!
Cursan.com
Sandy Dollar winters in GA. Not top ft lines but solid ht and show titles with a few qaa dogs. Get a deposit in early as she often has litters spoken for before she puts the breeding on her site.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts