RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spook will be 6 month old tomorrow and he's ganna start staying outside full time. I know he's a puppy and he likes chewing, but he has a knack for wood. He's even chewed on it so much a couple times he's throwin up little shredded pieces of wood. My backyard has a privacy fence and I created a bbq pit in one area. I put up lattice panels on the inside of the fence. Spook has now discovered he can destroy them. Any thoughts on how to get him to just quit chewing on wood. He's got toys and bones and another dog to play with 24/7. Not to mention, I take him somewhere everyday, whether its just to my parents for an hour, or out somewhere to train!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The only way is to build him a kennel run on concrete or keep him inside in a crate.

If left outside no matter what, at his age, he will destroy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10/4. Thanks! I guess I got some thinking to do!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
HAHA! Can't help but laugh at the reality of that statement.

This morning while letting my pup air out before work he randomly just walked by the vinyl siding on the house and bit it leaving a small hole, then while still running uprooted a weed and took off with it like he stole it! :lol: Silly joker!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I've seen dogs chew aluminum fence ties like they were peppermint sticks, and then proceed to bite through cyclone fencing like it was a rawhide. Put a lot of chew toys in with the pup IF you decide to kennel him outdoors.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I'm thinking about buying about 10 6 month old pups and starting a demolition business for the city.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The only way is to build him a kennel run on concrete or keep him inside in a crate.

I would modify this statement that left INSIDE OR OUTSIDE unattended, at his age he will destroy.

I have a 9-yr old that can't be left unattended with anything plush or fuzzy--she was lying on the dog bed in the office one day as I worked on the computer. I glanced over and realized she had been quietly chewing on the corner of the bed and had chewed a fist-sized hole. Some never outgrow it.

Meredith

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Buddy had a lab the chewed off the 4x4 corner post of his kennel. He chewed thru the chainlink and also chewed thru 6 plastic crates.
I would make sure his kennel is not made of anything wood.
I have a rot the digs by the stockade fence then breaks the slats off so she can get out. A small animal electric fence cured that, if a ball gets even close to the fence, they allo look at each other like "Im not getting it."

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm thinking about buying about 10 6 month old pups and starting a demolition business for the city.
I know where u can get one! : )

I'd really like for him to be able to run outside while i'm gone to work. I have a 10x10 kennel I used at my old place. I guess I could see it up in the back cornere and make a 20x20 kennel run.I know pups chew a lot and dogs in general. Is there anyway I can train this out of him when he's older? Also I need undestructible toys. I have to make the trip to the pet store to get more toys cause they just don't last. Best toys for little destroyers would be.....?????

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I know where u can get one! : )

I'd really like for him to be able to run outside while i'm gone to work. I have a 10x10 kennel I used at my old place. I guess I could see it up in the back cornere and make a 20x20 kennel run.I know pups chew a lot and dogs in general. Is there anyway I can train this out of him when he's older? Also I need undestructible toys. I have to make the trip to the pet store to get more toys cause they just don't last. Best toys for little destroyers would be.....?????
If you are worried about him being confined, a 10x10 is plenty. You don't want him wearing himself out so that when its time to train he is tired. My dogs stay in the house in their crate during the day and they are just fine.

Good luck on undestructible toys.....brick comes to mind! or iron.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Undestructible is the wrong word. More like toys that will last longer than a day!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts