RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XY, Inc. in Fort Collins, Colorado announced this week that it created 3 females and two males black lab puppies through artificial insemination with sperm that had been sorted to select a particular sex. In their first try on dogs they had hoped on all females, and need to work the out the kinks on K-9s. Imagine in the future a breeder can put in an order for so many males or females. The times are a changin'.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Sex pre-selection isn't new.... just for K-9s.

Could be cost prohibitive? We'll see.

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
XY, Inc. in Fort Collins, Colorado announced this week that it created 3 females and two males black lab puppies through artificial insemination with sperm that had been sorted to select a particular sex. In their first try on dogs they had hoped on all females, and need to work the out the kinks on K-9s.
Um, that sounds like pretty normal odds to me for a litter of 5. It looks like they have quite a few kinks to work out. IMHO, dogs have always defied the odds and not made any sense as to when they were bred in terms of ovulation and sex ratio. I have had litters with 8 and 10 males and no females and have had 9 females and a male. It made no difference if they are natural, AI fresh, chilled, or surgical frozen although one surgical had 8 males. Over 30 years ago in humans they determined the closer to ovulation favored males and they did do some centrifuging of semen for determining sex. I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
AMEN

I'm gonna give Erins Edge a big AMEN. Don't play with nature-respect it.

Richard

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had to laugh at this one. It made Denver channel 2 news and the Denver Post last night. Amazing a litter of 3 females and 2 males when they were banking on all females. I wouldn't be investing my money in that company just yet. Sounds like a "normal" litter to me. I bet they were hoping for some donations from the dog people.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Sperm are sorted using flow cytometry based on the density of the DNA. Individual cells are forced though an opening and hit with a high intensity light beam and this is correlated with the density of the DNA. We have been part of an clinical trial for humans for a number of years. Simply put, do not even think about wasting the money. All these people do is suggest they can “up the odds” not guarantee sex selection. In almost 70% of the cases where we have used such sperm the results have been the opposite of what the selection was for (i.e., boy when sperm was girl select). It MIGHT up the odds, but just slightly. In nature females seem to dominate the sperm.
Conversely in human IVF we can remove one cell from a day three embryo (normally 6-8 cells) and do FISH analysis to determine normal chromosome pairs for thirteen chromosomes and XY, thus determining if an embryo is genetically healthy and the sex of that embryo before transferring it back into the woman’s uterus on day 5. Of course testing for only 13 chromosomes does not totally assure a normal embryo, but the ones that are tested for give us a clear enough picture. The same can be done to determine a single gene defect for some inherited diseases.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Heck, what difference would it make? Everybody always wants whatever you don't have enough of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts