RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very sorry to report, for those that have not heard, Chris Darby was killed last night in an auto accident shortly after leaving Mountaintop Custom Kennel in Virginia. Chris is the Region 4 representative for HRC.The retrieving world,HRC, and most importantly all humanity has lost one fine man and a class act in every sense of the word. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Darby family.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Such sad news. I heard this morning about Chris. My thoughts and prayers go to his wife and two kids that God helps them through this very difficult time.

Chris was such a nice gentleman. He will be missed by so many.

Janet

·
Registered
732 Posts
I started my day with the news of his passing. The sport truly has lost an ambassador and the community has lost THE example of how we should conduct ourselves. Prayers go out to his family. There are no words really to capture the gravity of his loss. Godspeed Chris.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I am shocked and deeply saddened. Chris was a terrific guy and great amabassador to the sport. Don't think I ever saw him without a smile on his face. God speed Chris. We will miss you.
My condolonces to his family and many friends.

Bob Swift

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tragic news, I was shocked when I heard it this morning. Chris was an awesome guy and a great representative of the sport. Chris was the kind of guy that you looked at, and then looked at yourself and then maybe thought about making some changes in yourself. His passing is a great loss to all who knew him. Our condolenses to his family.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Chris and I spent many days training together. We and a lot of good times and laughs afield. Still haven't grasped the idea of him being gone. Prayers for his wife and two young children.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Chris was one of the nicest persons that I've met in the retriever world. His smile while giving a test briefing at the Grand, made the walk to the line much easier. A horrible loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chis was indeed a model for HRC. He was a great friend and mentor. It still hasn't set in that we will not be training and hanging out together. Prayers for his family and friends.

·
Administrator
3,871 Posts
The Virginia State Police released this afternoon the names of two men killed Friday evening in a three-vehicle accident on Interstate 81 in Wythe County after their vehicles were struck by a tractor-trailer.

Chris Darby, 50, of Goose Creek, S.C., and Harold Atwell, 66, of Max Meadows, died at the scene of the accident, which occurred after 6 p.m. near mile marker 75.

State police reported Friday that the driver of a tractor-trailer headed southbound on I-81 lost control of his vehicle, crossed over the median and entered the northbound lanes of I-81.

The truck struck a 2007 Ford F-150 and a 2006 Dodge minivan, police said.

It was not clear this afternoon which vehicle each victim was driving.

The driver of the tractor-trailer — Charles B. Connor, 25, of Hartford, Ala. — has been charged with reckless driving and failure to maintain control, according to Trooper C. D. Saunders. Connor was not injured in the crash.
How very sad. My heart breaks for Chris' wife and children as well as his family and friends.

Prayers for Chris' family as well as Mr. Atwell's family.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I spent the day with some friends at a hunt test yesterday and when the news came to us here in South Carolina it was like being punched in the stomach. Several times during the day we all reminisced about how great of a guy Chris was, the funny stories we all shared, and how much he loved Sue and the children. As I read these posts probably the one that rang the truest for me was the one that David McClendon posted: "Chris was the kind of guy that you looked at, and then looked at yourself and then maybe thought about making some changes in yourself." May God's perpetual light shine upon him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chris was great guy and will missed. It will hard to go training
And him not be there.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Very sad news indeed. What a terrible tragedy. You never know when it's your time to go. I did not know Chris but it sounds like he was a great guy. RIP Chris.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Chris was a co-founder of the Charleston Retriever Club. He put his heart and soul into this club and into HRC. It will be awfulfly hard to go to a CRC event and not see him there (and a region 4 HRC event...he was the Region Rep). He was a wonderful ambassador for the dog sports and was a wonderful person. Everyone respected and sought out his judgement. We will miss him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
. Chris was the kind of guy that you looked at, and then looked at yourself and then maybe thought about making some changes in yourself.
These words describe the type of man Chris was, well put David. My heart goes out to his wife and kids. I used to love to pick on him when there was a test that everyone thought was too hard or there was a concept that was out of the ordinary for what most people trained for. I would always tell it, "looks like there is a little Darby in this test." Though he denied it and would have never admitted it, he knew that was a compliment to his abilities in the retriever world.

He was a great man and friend. You will missed and thought of often Chris.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Never heard of him but prayers to all who did. Hate reading this kind of thing.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I met and spoke with Chris only one time. When a friend asked me this weekend if I knew Chris, I said absolutely. I remembered his name, when we met, and what we talked about. Not many people leave that kind impression. He loved the HRC organization and was a great ambassador. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts