RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most of you have heard and read of my friend Chris Payne's passing. Chris was a quite, gentle, giant that loved the dogs, training retrievers, hunt tests, hunting and Oklahoma State football. I will truly miss my friend and our conversations that we had on all the above. Chris had been summering and training is Maine with 20+ client dogs and was preparing to break camp and head back to Texas upon his passing.

An amazing story has unfolded since Chris passed. The Maine Retriever community has stepped up in a huge way housing and sheltering and housing Chris's client dogs for the past few days. I know I'm going to leave out a bunch of people here but Peggy Knowles and Chad O'Brian are two that I know of first hand. Anyone I've left out I apologize but thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Another hero in this sad time is Steve Penney who as I write this is flying up to Maine and will gather up Chris's belongings and client dogs and will start the slow journey back to Texas. Steve is doing this out of loyalty and friendship to Chris. My hats off to you Steve and God bless you for stepping up. You will never buy another drink at a field trial I attend.

We as a small but rabid community of retriever enthusiasts are blessed to have so many honorable and fine humans in are group. We are blessed to have more that unites us than divides us. We are blessed to stand next to these great animals that bring us together and form our community. And we are blessed and better off for people like our friend Chris Payne.

God speed Chris. Thank you for your friendship. Have the decoys set and the dogs ready when I get there.

Richard Davis

·
Registered
752 Posts
Its tragic to hear of Chris passing so young and unexpectedly. You and Chris were close and stings so much Rich.

Its touching to see the community step up in again like it does so many times when tragedy strikes.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm sure most of you have heard and read of my friend Chris Payne's passing. Chris was a quite, gentle, giant that loved the dogs, training retrievers, hunt tests, hunting and Oklahoma State football. I will truly miss my friend and our conversations that we had on all the above. Chris had been summering and training is Maine with 20+ client dogs and was preparing to break camp and head back to Texas upon his passing.

An amazing story has unfolded since Chris passed. The Maine Retriever community has stepped up in a huge way housing and sheltering and housing Chris's client dogs for the past few days. I know I'm going to leave out a bunch of people here but Peggy Knowles and Chad O'Brian are two that I know of first hand. Anyone I've left out I apologize but thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Another hero in this sad time is Steve Penney who as I write this is flying up to Maine and will gather up Chris's belongings and client dogs and will start the slow journey back to Texas. Steve is doing this out of loyalty and friendship to Chris. My hats off to you Steve and God bless you for stepping up. You will never buy another drink at a field trial I attend.

We as a small but rabid community of retriever enthusiasts are blessed to have so many honorable and fine humans in are group. We are blessed to have more that unites us than divides us. We are blessed to stand next to these great animals that bring us together and form our community. And we are blessed and better off for people like our friend Chris Payne.

God speed Chris. Thank you for your friendship. Have the decoys set and the dogs ready when I get there.

Richard Davis
Very well said Rich.
God speed and RIP Chris

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
God bless Chris and all of those who loved him.
Yes, Chris was a “Gentle Giant”. I was very blessed to have met Chris 2 years ago. A class guy and great representative of this dog game that we all love.
🙏🙏🙏

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
I am sad to read of Chris’ untimely passing. My first meeting with Chris was at Joseph’s in the NFRA days. I first met many retriever friends that weekend. Richard Cheatham, Patrick Johndrow, Richard Davis, Joseph McCann. Dan Kotarski was there and so was Jay DuFore.

Chris Payne was always kind, smiling and a good, humble guy. My last time seeing Chris was December 2018 at the Tulsa double DQ. PJ picked up his only blue ribbon there. It was a very memorable weekend. It was my only blue to date also.

Our local club trial kicks off tomorrow in Canton, IL. I will remember to try to not take it too seriously and enjoy the trial, enjoy the people, enjoy the dogs.

Life is brief and precious. Chris Payne. Thank you for adding to the goodness of the retriever sports. You will be remembered and missed.

Chris.

·
Registered
415 Posts

Richard Davis
Very well put Rich, Sorry for the loss for his family and friends. We are blessed to have some wonderful people and animals that bind us together. It's especially hard to say goodbye to those that make an impact on us. RIP Chris.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Lake Champlain Retriever Club will miss Chris’s presence at our July Hunt Test. He was cheerful and cooperative, especially when we couldn’t get his big rig into the back fields and had to shuttle him and the dogs to the line!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts