RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What's On The Menu For Christmas Dinner?

• Ham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turkey

• Other - Please Explain

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw John's thread about the TurDukHen and wondered what everybody is having for dinner.

I am having Moose for dinner. I have never had it before but I was given some and decided today is a great day to try it!

Merry Christmas!!

Andy

·
Administrator
3,826 Posts
Hey Andy!

Normally, I don't have to cook at Christmas (or Thanksgiving..heheheh). However, this year, I got a call from my daughter, Trinity, telling me that their plans had changed for Christmas Day.

Instead of coming over Christmas night after having had dinner and gift exchange at her in-laws, she, Brian & the 2 grandkids would be here around 5! Seems her mother-in-law has hurt her back and they won't be doing the big Christmas dinner this year.

So, after getting the call from Trinity on Thursday evening, I ran to the grocery store and bought a big turkey! (Sure was glad there were some left!!) Guess the house will be smelling pretty good today :)

Merry Christmas, Andy. I hope you and your family (human & K9) have a wonderful Holiday season!!

Vicky

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
We had our Christmas on Christmas Eve according to Finnish tradition and my son made the pheasant I gave him from a hunting trip (he made it curried) with dressing made from Finnish mushrooms they picked at their cottage in Finland, and they also had ham. My daughter in law is from Finland and we could actually talk with her family via computer phone which is free and we also sent pictures and made videos and sent them back and forth. It was like having them in the room it was so clear. Since they were 8 hours ahead and they started celebrating traditional Christmas at 11am with Gloogi, a mulled wine WITH vodka, they were fairly happy by the time I got there. They attempted to do a video of a "dance" for us but it never came as the file was too big or they were having technical difficulties due to too much Gloogi. We were in turn to make one for them. We did make one of my son's dog opening his presents. It makes it nice for Annika not to miss being home. In the 2nd batch of our Gloogi, Annika added a bit more "Vudka", whoa-that's some drink.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Andy-
Enjoy your moose. That & elk are my favorite game meats.

As for Christmas dinner-I don't know because I'm not cooking this year. Yesterday I brought tortiere (french meat pies) to my sisters because when my mother was alive that was tradition on Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve.

We will all go see my father who is in Hospice now & they are serving a roast beef dinner there, but I think we'll skip that to go to my brother's. His wife usually cooks a turkey & a ham & EVERYTHING to go with it. Big country house with fireplaces & kids & dogs everywhere. Unfortunately-I'm a bit under the weather & may not make it.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas & enjoy whatever is on your table. More importantly cherish those who sit around it (& under it!) this year!!

M

·
Registered
16,996 Posts
Just finished placing eight ducks in the smoker upside-down. Stuffed them with Jalipino peppers. Taking a one day break from duck hunting before I start getting after them again on Sunday. I'll use any leftovers for a duck and sausage gumbo.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Mr Booty said:
Just finished placing eight ducks in the smoker upside-down. Stuffed them with Jalipino peppers. Taking a one day break from duck hunting before I start getting after them again on Sunday. I'll use any leftovers for a duck and sausage gumbo.
Yum!

Last night was our big deal! Rib roast on the grill with garlic and rosemary, with lots of sides.

Tonight I'll try a couple of the RTF recipes to start putting a hole in all those ducks in the freezer. Thank god my family likes game. :D

Angie

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Not enough people at home this year for a Turkey, so I baking a BIG Chicken, cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, green beans. Coconut Creme Pie, spice cake and LOTS of egg nog.

Had our traditional Chili last night.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Well, since Joe's Pizza is closed; Ham, Ruffed Grouse, Pheasant, German Potatoe Salad, etc., etc., pecan pie (thanks Jeff & Joyce), and CHRISTMAS COOKIES!! Sounds like a lot, BUT Any of you who've seen me eat, know I can handle it!! :lol: :lol: :oops: :wink:
BAIT

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Now you really have me upset. I sent the wife to visit my eldest son's in Salt Lake, so you can imagine I'm not doing much in the way of 'traditional' trappings. So far it's been longhorn cheese, pickled herring, and some Chex party mix. Of course along with some ET, or JB, who could ask for anything more?

Gotta admit it's prefferable to the Christmas eve meal my Mom always fixed. Nancy's Finnish rememberances brought me back to those days. My Mother was a Swede, so we had to eat one meal a year of lutefisk and leftsa. My Dad was German, and oddly enough he enjoyed that incredible disaster. The leftsa I enjoyed, but the fish was more than I could take.

If Dan is having carp, he's far above that Swedish ritual. I've eaten lots of smoked carp. No comparison. :roll:

I almost disowned my Mom for teaching my German wife how to make that garbage. Fortunately, after a few years of putting up with it, my wife suggested we start a completely different 'tradition'... A German sauerbratten dinner...with potato pancakes, red cabbage, green bean casserole, sweet breads, and the best tasting gravy imagineable.

Just wait until she returns and asks me what I'd like for supper. :wink:

UB

·
Registered
573 Posts
With all the snow and cold - snow is almost all gone, lasted about 12 hours - Chicken and Sausage and Teal gumbo.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Uncle Bill said:
Nancy's Finnish rememberances brought me back to those days. My Mother was a Swede, so we had to eat one meal a year of lutefisk and leftsa. My Dad was German, and oddly enough he enjoyed that incredible disaster. The leftsa I enjoyed, but the fish was more than I could take.
Actually, my son brought back a Finnish fish smoker and they made smoked salmon and I got a big piece to take home. The only problem was they had to find a voltage conversion for the electrical because the regular plug conversion won't work. They said in Finland they start out at 11am with some kind of traditional rice soup and all kinds of fish dishes.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Our complete menu -- Standing Rib roast (w/bleu cheese and horseradish sauce), Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, whole green beans w/slivered almonds, Walker Salad (very old secret family recipe), and cheesecake for desert.

Evening cordial -- Single-malt Scotch and a fine cigar!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
ErinsEdge said:
Uncle Bill said:
Nancy's Finnish rememberances brought me back to those days. My Mother was a Swede, so we had to eat one meal a year of lutefisk and leftsa. My Dad was German, and oddly enough he enjoyed that incredible disaster. The leftsa I enjoyed, but the fish was more than I could take.
Actually, my son brought back a Finnish fish smoker and they made smoked salmon and I got a big piece to take home. The only problem was they had to find a voltage conversion for the electrical because the regular plug conversion won't work. They said in Finland they start out at 11am with some kind of traditional rice soup and all kinds of fish dishes.
Nancy, is that a "cold" smoker???? Been wanting to build one but havent done it yet.

Jerry

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Nancy, is that a "cold" smoker???? Been wanting to build one but havent done it yet.
Jerry
I don't know, I'll find out but they did it in their condo.

·
Registered
409 Posts
What's for Dinner

We had Caribou Medalions wrapped in bacon with a side of mushrooms. Hubby went up to Quebec in December and hunted the caribou. Caribou is better than venison I have to say.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Chicken-N-Dumplin's
Honey Baked Ham
Mashed potaters
O'Charley's Rolls (They're the BEST)
Cranberry Salad
Homemade Dressing (NOT Stove Top!)
Frozen Fresh Corn
Soup Beans with a touch of pork fat

2 doses of Tums after supper!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
With time difference yesterday was Christmas Day.

Long sufferings family and my family came over for Christmas dinner.

We had prawns and oysters for starters. For the main meal we had pork, turkey and smoked ham with salad (LOL, remember its hot here), and potato/sour cream bake. For sweets we had pavlova and Christmas pudding.

Friends coming over for the left overs today.

PS I think some of you have very unusual food for Christmas!!!! I laughed as some of the menus, oh the memories, as my parents are European.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Nothing like a Scandinavian Xmas, Swedish meatballs,potato sausage,vort limpa(raisin bread),sill(pickled herring) swedish rye bread.......then on to the coffee and scandinavian pastries................,and glog, Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Slow grilled deer sausage, deer tenderloin(wrapped up in tinfoil with taters and onions) , ham, deviled eggs, hen dressing, giblet gravy,mexican cornbread, barbecue beans, rolls, 7-layer salad, whiteacre peas, mashed potatoes (real) and gravy, sweet tater casserole, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, caramel cake, and fudge. Maybe a few other items, but those were the ones I ate :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts