RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our HRC club had an upland test last weekend and had a few training birds left over so we decided to shoot them as flyers today.

1. I don't recommmend using Chuckers for flyers, they have a mind of there own, I don't care where the wind is they will do whatever they want, I threw 15 of the 19 flyers and I never did get them figured out, most of the did a 180 and ended comming back at the thrower......

Here's a few pics from today.

\

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Nice pictures!

I agree with you on the chuckers. The other thing is that they don't hold up well. Lucky to get more than one session out of them. They are relatively cheap though so they've got that going for them!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
But they are terrific to introduce little puppies to live birds! Clip a wing, let them loose in an enclosed area YeeHaa!!!!

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
What kind of dog is that in the very first photo, Todd? Great shots, I love those with the bird in flight, very cool.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I kind of always have liked chukkars, I'm sure they aren't the best thing using as a Flyer at long distance, but they do hold fairly well and won't run as much as a pheasant will. As far as the amount of scent goes, I think my dog never had much of a problem, but just about everything is less than a stinky hunt test Mallard. For even more stink, I propose that hunt tests switch to Sharptail Grouse.... they have to be the stinkiest bird I have ever shot.

I also get to switch to my 20 Ga skeet gun when I shoot Chukkars, it's fun.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of dog is that in the very first photo, Todd? Great shots, I love those with the bird in flight, very cool.
Kim it's a lab/weimer cross, pretty nice dog. The owner Brett joined our club last spring it's his first dog and he's done a great job with him, he's following fowldawgs, passed all 4 upland tests last weekend, I even got him to run CMRC's club trial last monthe, went out in the last series of the derby but finished the Hunter. Pretty neat..

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Kim it's a lab/weimer cross, pretty nice dog. The owner Brett joined our club last spring it's his first dog and he's done a great job with him, he's following fowldawgs, passed all 4 upland tests last weekend, I even got him to run CMRC's club trial last monthe, went out in the last series of the derby but finished the Hunter. Pretty neat..
Huh, Lab/weim, wouldn't have guessed that one. Sure looks like he's enjoying it, neat for the owner, getting him that trained and interested in running events.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts