RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get off the line? With a no-bird or just an amped up dog or just anytime?
The video clip is Hank (by Pirate) demo'g. The first exit is a closed exit, the second an open exit. In the closed exit you try to get your body in between the gun stations as quickly as possibe. The open exit you can see that Hank had a second thought about leaving the line because he was clearly looking at the gun station.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is another excellent reason not to have a dog that creeps.

A "closed" exit is very hard to do if you have to walk half way to the gun station to get in front of the dog!:D

DP

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
This is another excellent reason not to have a dog that creeps.

A "closed" exit is very hard to do if you have to walk half way to the gun station to get in front of the dog!:D

DP
That's why you've taught them the word "HEEL"...... ;) and SIT!!!;)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Some times the judges make the decision for you depending on where they put the last holding blind and which side you heel your dog on. In HTs I prefer to push my dog to all the marks if possible. I do prefer a closed exit regardless and when leaving the honor box always get in front of the dog, heel him around and back to the truck....then take a deep breath :)

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Can't disagree, the dog should know sit and heel.

But... It can't hurt to stack the odds in your favor.

Risk management regards,

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have been taught Always turn into the dog! Exiting holding blind, after no bird, leaving the line and most importantly after honor. It not only refocuses the dog away from the action but shows a sense of control. Also after the dog shakes give a sit command then turn into him and heel away from the line.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
I have been taught Always turn into the dog! Exiting holding blind, after no bird, leaving the line and most importantly after honor. It not only refocuses the dog away from the action but shows a sense of control. Also after the dog shakes give a sit command then turn into him and heel away from the line.
yup yup x2;-)
I would get yelled at if I left the line like Wayne did the second time.
EXCEPT, if it was a young dog and I put the rope on it.
but even then I would have been asked why I did not get the
young dog used to how we would do it all the rest of the time.
When it grew up.

Oh, and the judges don't force nothin' you can spin right round on the mat.
Like the song line, "you spin me right round baby, right round. Like a record baby, round, round, round, round."
Ah, to use disco in a dog training thread. Life is good:cool:

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
May I branch off with a question Wayne?
For the folk with two sided dogs. If the marks presented do not have an obvious advantage to one side or the other. Will you break with our (I am in the 2 sided camp) thrown right dog right, thrown left dog left, guidelines and put the dog on the side best for leaving the line? In other words, do you plan your escape, or just your attack?

And the follow up for the one sided folk. Ted has a wonderful quote that I cannot remember. So I humbly paraphrase, "I am not yet perfect at one side, so I will not try for two". I know that is not quite it, maybe if you read it you can correct it please. But with the one sided dog how important is the plan of escape?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Make the dog responsible for the heel position. It even works for back seat drivers:)

Pete

·
Registered
265 Posts
May I branch off with a question Wayne?
For the folk with two sided dogs. If the marks presented do not have an obvious advantage to one side or the other. Will you break with our (I am in the 2 sided camp) thrown right dog right, thrown left dog left, guidelines and put the dog on the side best for leaving the line? In other words, do you plan your escape, or just your attack?

And the follow up for the one sided folk. Ted has a wonderful quote that I cannot remember. So I humbly paraphrase, "I am not yet perfect at one side, so I will not try for two". I know that is not quite it, maybe if you read it you can correct it please. But with the one sided dog how important is the plan of escape?
I run off both sides,will put the dog on the side that I feel benefits me the most,sometimes one side or the other makes it easier to see all the guns,and when the guns are going off it's easier to push to the next gun than pull to the next gun.If I'm running a dog that moves alot at line I like to be between them and the Go-bird. I use which ever side I need during the marks to place more emphasis on a factor(get in water,run tight behind gun etc.)But I feel more comfortable lining up on blinds on my left at a trial,even though I use both sides in training.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
I do all two sided dogs. Always close the dog. Once the judges tell me no. its my job to get off the line with the least opportunity to lose the dog. Also think about bird racks etc. exit the safest way.

/Paul

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ken, If Hank had been on my right side, I would have turned to the right with a closed exit. Just the opposite as in the video.
I have taught Hank to be two sided but I most often run with him on my left. At tests he always runs from the left because my son runs him.
Plan for the best advantage in running the test but take advantage of the best way to get off the line. You never know what is going on in those little minds. Howard said it best, it's risk management.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My boy is one-sided. Is 14 months too old to teach him to be double-sided?
Cory I thought the same thing when Gunner was the same age, it took some patience, but after a week he was healing on both sides.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
No birds never an adantage. I turn into the dog bend down and tell dog NO BAD DOG YOU MARK IT. I feel if I don't do that when I come back to the line he is going to head swing and not watch. I say it in a low voice so judges don't say something. If flyer I like to go back three. If dead bird like to come back immediately. That's my plan and I do train it. But not a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts