RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been involved with several different breeds of working dogs. Most of the dog men/women keep a closed yard with very limited to no dogs leaving their yard. The ones that do are fixed so they can’t produce puppies. They breed and keep and work what they have and try to produce the best with line breeding/ inbreeding and occasional bringing another dog in for an out cross from what they are currently running. These yards are normally 20+ dogs and I was curious if anyone is doing this? I did this for a long time but kids came and dogs had to go.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yards with 20+ dogs? I don’t understand what you are asking/talking about.

Meredith

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yards with 20+ dogs? I don’t understand what you are asking/talking about.

Meredith
Most of the breedings done it seems like the puppies get sold and only 1 kept.
What I’m talking about are people who would breed and keep all the puppies, train them and work them to see which ones are the best and then incorporate those dogs into their program to try and produce the best dogs possible. Normally to do this, you would end up with a lot of dog.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Sounds like you either come from a pointing dog heritage - or were tapping the lines into Nilo Farms.:eek:

MG

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I’ve been involved with several different breeds of working dogs. Most of the dog men/women keep a closed yard with very limited to no dogs leaving their yard. The ones that do are fixed so they can’t produce puppies. They breed and keep and work what they have and try to produce the best with line breeding/ inbreeding and occasional bringing another dog in for an out cross from what they are currently running. These yards are normally 20+ dogs and I was curious if anyone is doing this? I did this for a long time but kids came and dogs had to go.
Most people wouldn't have the resources to do it that way. Retriever training is very individually labor intensive compared to training for some things. When I win the lottery I will keep every puppy, and have a complete kennel and training staff.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No.
No one breeds them very tight and no one keeps a litter to see whose best. It’s way different than them sitting in a chain for a year or 18 months and then checking them out. The amount of time and resources that it takes to find out if one is good or not- and I mean fast lane- is 3-4years and close to 30-40k. If you’ve paid for 3 years with top pros and and your 4 year old dog isn’t finishing all age- it’s decision time. Keep throwing money at it or try another one. Most dogs aren’t successful until they are 6-7 and by succeeful I mean get there FC top competitors have 3-12 dogs in training and. Competing. And top dogs are closing in on 100 points by 6-7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts