RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had no idea. Those are better written then the one I've been using.

Thanks

Angie

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
But didn't see silver....

these sites must not be correct.

Sorry

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
The best link I know of, a little heady but explains all variation and genes involved, skip the upper stuff and go down to the bottom where it explains the modification of different coat colors, they explain the different colors of yellow, greying patterns, and yes even Silver labs.

http://labbies.com/genetics2.htm

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You must have not looked at the 2nd one. It shows silver factored black!!!!!!!! WTF
Not too sure I would refer to a silver breeder's color chart...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I really like them all this made my day- I still believe that if I dont learn something new everyday I am not trying - thanks for sharing

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
ROFL. I don't think I'd worry about the "dilutes" too much myself. Good enough to know the black, yellow, chocolate & pigment stuff methinks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bridget Bodine said:
Nothing inaccurate on the shared website for coat color, it just includes the dilution gene. Draw your punnet squares, if need be, it'll all check out.

Me either but dude said he didn't see silver lol. Heck I can't figure out the 3 real colors(prob get flamed by a silver owner for that) now they are talking silver factored blacks? geesh.
The "silver factored" are your basic BYC that carry the dilution gene (Dd); nothing new, they were around before the full dilutes (dd) as it takes a factored dog to make a recessive trait like that be shown. Same is true for other recessive genes like yellow or chocolate, they are carried as recessive color "factors."

·
Registered
621 Posts
Not trying to high jack this thread, but i went to the site for one of the DNA testing Labs and it looked like it requires two test or more to determine the recessive coat colors. Is this correct?

Terri

·
Registered
680 Posts
Terri,

That's the way I read it too. I had the need to have a black male checked to see if he is carrying the yellow factor and checked out the various websites for companies offering to test Lab color. It seems that you just get the results of one locus per test. However, you may know the status of the other sites or maybe are just concerned about one.

Swack

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not trying to high jack this thread, but i went the the site for one of the DNA testing Labs and it looked like it requires two test or more to determine the recessive coat colors. Is this correct?

Terri
Yes, they test one color locus at a time. A couple of the laboratories do give a 50% or more discount for each test after the first one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts