RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female black lab started loosing the color of her coat at 11 months. She's 14 months now. It's only on her tourso and is a redish/ chocolate color. I had her on Eukenuba Large Breed puppy dog food and switched to a different food with no difference. Do you all have any ideas? I've heard of adding an egg a day but haven't tried that yet. She's out of GRHRCH UH McMac Magic Eyes A 'Smilin MH QAA and NFC Road Warrior daughter if anyone with those lines have problems.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Is she loosing it or just shedding? Mine go through phases like that every few months....

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Some black labs will turn reddish brown during the summer when they start to blow their coat, it's the under-coat coming out, that is red. You can get a furminator and brush it out, but that it a ton of work, our red-heads usually turn back to black before the hunting season.

·
Registered
581 Posts
All our blacks do the same when blowing their coat and they typically blow their first coat +/- 12 months of age. The reddish hair which is what is coming out is pretty much very coarse as well. Furminators work really well, but it will work its way out eventually and she will have a new black sheen to her in no time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Laura McCaw said:
All our blacks do the same when blowing their coat and they typically blow their first coat +/- 12 months of age. The reddish hair which is what is coming out is pretty much very coarse as well. Furminators work really well, but it will work its way out eventually and she will have a new black sheen to her in no time.
Thank you all. Her coat is just reddish. I've tried brushing it out and not accomplishing much. I've just never had a red head I guess. I thought it may be a nutritional issue but it sounds like its just her undercoat. Thanks

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
If it isn't dead hair that comes out with brushing, then it very well may be nutritional. I had my chocolates turn orange when the food I fed was changed by the manufacturer.

Meredith

·
Registered
1 Posts
We Have a 4 year old black female out of O'Malley and her coat is, and has been exceptional. Never had any color change. I also fed her Eukenuba. What does your vet say?

Good luck.
Jim

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Blacks and chocolates can shed out with odd colors at around a year. It can vary with how much they are outside, the food, the supplements they are on etc but usually the following shed the colors are not as noticible as they are at around a year. I wouldn't give it too much thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts