RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dog with Cold tail. Suggestions Please.
Do you stop workiing the dog till it goes away?
Do you give anti-inflammatory's?
How long does it typically last?
The dog is 11 mts old and has worked in the cold water all winter with no problems.

G

·
Debthomas said:
I have a dog with Cold tail. Suggestions Please.
Do you stop workiing the dog till it goes away?
Do you give anti-inflammatory's?
How long does it typically last?
The dog is 11 mts old and has worked in the cold water all winter with no problems.
**Stop working if the dog needs you to stop working
**Meds only if dog is really in pain (having trouble doing basic daily stuff)
**3-5 days

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My 18 month old puppy has cold tail. First day didn't work him and gave anti inflamatory. Second day worked him lightly as long as I could see he could sit without much discomfort but I did give him anti inflamatory. You can start do see differences each day. Usually goes away in a few days. I'm not giving him anti inflamatory anymore because he does not look uncomfortable and he seems to be sitting a little more.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
One of my dogs had cold water tail - or so I thought. It persisted longer than 3-5 days. Turned out to be a broken tail.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go with the antiinflamatories. The dog is suffering.
My golden gets cold tail about once a year. I give him pills for a couple of days and he is fine.
If your dog is like mine and has repeat instances, then give him a half pill the morning of the water training.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Best thing is to prevent cold tail. Not every case can be prevented but there are certain factors that have been looked into and I have actually witnessed myself. Consider doing your water work before your land work. When the dog gets warmed up with land work even if the air is cool, then gets into water for water work, then goes back into the crate-that is a reciepe for cold tail. After water work walk the dogs until they are partially dry and have warmed up. I will do a pile drill just to get them to run and generate some heat. If working multiple dogs, tie out the dogs that have worked and DO NOT put them back into the box/crate. Something about being in a crate really seems to be the final piece of the puzzle when I have had cold tail in my dogs. For example I was out hunting one very cold day, most water except running was frozen. We hunted a small river and she had 4-5 trips into the water. When we got home I figured she was cold so I put her in a crate with an insulated cover, knew she would get warmed up in there. Got the worst case of cold tail we have ever had. Now I will have them lay on a blanket but not in a crate/doghouse and I have not had a case for a long time. I can tell when we are beginning to see a bit of symptoms the way they hold the tail as we finish water work. Once I see that we quit swimming and go for a walk. So far it seems to work as I have not had a case for a few years.

Another example, we were training in Oct in the late afternoon and it had just turned pretty cold for a few days. When I went out to see what to set up I took the dog and let her run around as I surved the area and threw a few fun bumpers, some in to the water. Then I put her up and set up my two wingers, when I got her out I could see her tail begin to drop. So we did some land blinds and got her looking normal again. Did the water double and a blind then we did some stand alone marks on land to get her dried off and warmed up. Let her in the front seat of the truck on the way home instead of in the crate (don't tell my wife). And although it looked as if she was about to get cold tail she did not. So I firmly believe that you can prevent it with a bit of foresight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts