RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hunting buddy has a blf that this will be her 3rd hunting season this fall. Last year in the colder part of season (Dec/Jan) she would be good for one day and then we would have to wait 4 or 5 days for her tail to get better. Is this caused from sitting on the frozen ground or just the cold water and below freezing temperature and is there something we can do to get consecutive hunting days out of her? I do have a new puppy that this is going to be her first season of hunting but even though she has her JH title, still not sure what to expect.
Any information on the "cold tail" thing would be appreciated, would like to take action now before season is here if possible.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the only real cure is to make sure your dog is in shape before season starts, I will tell my friend about this article.

Thank You.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
It is happening over and over because you aren't expressing the anal glands. Need to do it right on the spot at the first sign of the tail even starting to look funny. If you wait to go to the vet, it's too late. Bring a glove and some KY jelly.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
It is happening over and over because you aren't expressing the anal glands. Need to do it right on the spot at the first sign of the tail even starting to look funny. If you wait to go to the vet, it's too late. Bring a glove and some KY jelly.
Yes also if its a male, you need to feel his testicles every 30 minutes or so to make sure they are not hot to the touch. Also, feel along his penis and make sure there are no anomalies. Its best to use lotion for this exam.

Cold sack syndrome is nothing to mess with and comes hand and hand with cold tail syndrome.

WRL

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Yes also if its a male, you need to feel his testicles every 30 minutes or so to make sure they are not hot to the touch. Also, feel along his penis and make sure there are no anomalies. Its best to use lotion for this exam.

Cold sack syndrome is nothing to mess with and comes hand and hand with cold tail syndrome.

WRL
Just get some little boys underwear and put on the dog before hunting. Put the tail out the pee-pee hole. Course, those custom made neoprene jobs are pretty slick.

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
Just get some little boys underwear and put on the dog before hunting. Put the tail out the pee-pee hole. Course, those custom made neoprene jobs are pretty slick.
Good idea Susan. Those knitted ones just don't hold up. I've heard an actual jock strap with those hand warmers bags slid in them work really well too.

WRL

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if you guys are kidding or not! I'll pass the info on to my buddy though anyways :)

It's a girl by the way.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
[insert scene from Joe Dirt with the dog stuck to the porch during winter]

I'm not sure if posting a pic of the above would fly on this site so I'll play it safe!

G

·
Mine gets it off and on not all the time my vet gives him rymadyl in about 2 days he's better. Once he got it just from having a bath in the backyard. My friend came home from vacation their dog did alot of tail wagging and got it. You want to check the anal glands since sometimes that can be a problem, I dont know about being in shape my dog was in fantastic shape didnt help.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I don't know if you guys are kidding or not! I'll pass the info on to my buddy though anyways :)

It's a girl by the way.
Lee will be disapointed.....I'm with Dave on the jock strap and handwarmer idea..

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
This is what I prefer. But for the dog I use a neoprene vest.

DP
Does the vest have a "sack warmer pocket"? I'm not sure I have seen those types of vests.

Maybe you could draw a pic of what your "dog vest" looks like?

WRL

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
GDG warning....

I love google. I went to try to find a photo of a fur-lined g-string type item (the dog IS a girl) to try to help the OP-and what does google dig up? And I quote:

Possum Fur G String! :)

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
GDG warning....

I love google. I went to try to find a photo of a fur-lined g-string type item (the dog IS a girl) to try to help the OP-and what does google dig up? And I quote:

Possum Fur G String! :)
Is possum fur very soft? I refuse to touch those disgusting rats......

I would think rabbit fur would be better. When my son was still a "crawler" his drug his junk across a rabbit skin that was on the floor and you could tell by the big toothless slobbery smile on his face he approved of the rabbit fur.

WRL

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Is possum fur very soft? I refuse to touch those disgusting rats......

I would think rabbit fur would be better. When my son was still a "crawler" his drug his junk across a rabbit skin that was on the floor and you could tell by the big toothless slobbery smile on his face he approved of the rabbit fur.

WRL
Rabbit and possum don't have very good waterproof qualities. Gots to look for the beaver....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts