RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old pup that I am wanting to collar conditon, she is well obiedent, heels of lead very vell. I am wondering is there something else i need to do before collar conditioning. Is she to young?? She doesnt have all her permanent teeth yet to force fetch. This will be my second one to train my oldest is 7 1/2 now which is the pups mother and is a great hunting partner.
Its been a while so im a little rusty.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I follow Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy. You can go to his website and get a free downloadable flow chart and you will see his training sequence and when he does ecollar conditioning. However, I have often had to ecollar condition a dog to "here" much earlier because they are wild childs and then pick up the rest of the conditioning in accordance with Mike's flow chart.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have a 5 month old pup that I am wanting to collar conditon, she is well obiedent, heels of lead very vell. I am wondering is there something else i need to do before collar conditioning. Is she to young?? She doesnt have all her permanent teeth yet to force fetch. This will be my second one to train my oldest is 7 1/2 now which is the pups mother and is a great hunting partner.
Justin,

Is she well obiedent in the yard and in the field with other distractions? Work on that if not and then as Wayne Nutt stated start on a program that will suite your needs for your goals. Goals include you and the dog together.:)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I want to ...

The words "I am wanting to " makes me concerned...Just that ole gut feel we get once in awhile... right or wrong....I don't know ....There is a lot of other things in the obed area and pre FF that could be done before CC'ing...My feeling is you are wanting to push too fast ....If I'm wrong ,I apologize..... As the ole turtle story goes...slow and steady wins the race....pushing can and usually will cause problems down the road....Not that it can't be done and be successful but I'm worried about the dogs maturity level at this stage...As mentioned earlier I too recommend a proven program and follow the timing of CC based on it....Steve S

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
When you do get to the stage you want to CC Mike Lardy's CC is good. Take your time!

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Take a look at the Hillman puppy stuff . In it, they are introduced to the collar in an incidental manner and no big deal is made of it by the dog.

john

·
Registered
506 Posts
There are some wild pups the make you break off your training routine or flow chart--but they are the exceptions to the rule. in many cases inexperienced trainers overdo discipline or push their young dogs too fast because they seem to be handling everything---trust me, they're not. allow you pup a childhood, there's plenty of time for training. Taking advantage of a young, talented dog's abilities is something all trainers should guard against. Never take a piece of your young dog in the name of speed.
good luck
GG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the good advice I do find myself thinking or sometimes trying to push her along to fast, she is a quick learner and has the want to to do it. She has been well obident everywhere we have been in the yard as welll as in the field, I have looked at the Lardy Flow chart and plan on following it from here on out but at her own pace. I am really excited about her potential. I am planning on taking her dove hunting this sept. Hope to have her FF but she may not be ready by then we will see. Thanks again for the advice am willing and eager to learn more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts