RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Which is your chosen method of correction...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The look, feel, and knowledge base of RTF sure has changed over the last 4 years. Back when Osborn answered each post and Peake was dead set against force fetch. Out of curiosity, i'm wonderin where we stand as far as the percentage of e-Collar trainers vs. those that take the Amish approach.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Funny the power of $$$....one in now and one on the list :wink:
Dave <- Never give in to the ways of the "English" and their modern conveniences :idea: ....Gottah go read my daily scriptures from The Book of Morgan :lol:
________
Cumshot Homemade

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peake said:
Funny the power of $$$....one in now and one on the list :wink:
Dave <- Never give in to the ways of the "English" and their modern conveniences :idea: ....Gottah go read my daily scriptures from The Book of Morgan :lol:
Ya know Peakester... a long time ago i stated that you would eventually add FF to your program... you did. Shortly thereafter i predicted a collar trained dog coming out of Kinkade Kennels... i'm afeared you might get me on this one.

Shayne - Thinks Peake will go electric once he's trainin 8-10 dawgs.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I use an e-collar, so I voted that way. Here is clarification.

Being a 1st time trainer, I am still trying to figure it all out. He wears an e-collar whenever I train, but, I don't use the collar for everything. The reason: I have seen a few dogs that were screwed up by an e-collar and I wasn?t sure, as a novice, that my experience was up to the task to use it for everything. The little I use it, I use it most often for OB but some retrieve training. As I learn more and more I am "starting" to develop a philosophy that I am actually starting to call my own. If I had to call it anything, I would call myself a "New Order Amish" trainer. Method: I just leg it out, repeat and simplify, lots of repetition, some yelling, some whistle, some heeling stick, lots of encouragement, lots of praise and the button when needed.

Joe M.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I train using an E Collar, but an occasional Nike correction goes a long way. Nothin' like seein' the "Oh SH*T!!!" look from the dog when I make a splash in the pond.

Cray

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I confess to being a Mennonite trainer. I can train Amish, but use the modern conveniences when it suits me...

I have probably had about equal collar and non-collar dogs over the years. Currently have one ex-FT dog (all collar), one all-Amish dog, one FT prospect (plugged in).

Make sure the method suits the dog & the trainer.

Lisa

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cray said:
I train using an E Collar, but an occasional Nike correction goes a long way. Nothin' like seein' the "Oh SH*T!!!" look from the dog when I make a splash in the pond.

Cray
I agree with that 110%. I've seen that look and it REALLY goes a long way.

I might be a member of Team Pinch-N-Burn, but i don't even own a collar right now (long story, sold house - threw in Pro500), prior to that it had been a year since i had it on my dog, several months before that since any correction was given. Two hunting seasons without a nick or a need for a nick. If nothing else, that is a testiment to the solid animal you can create by properly using a collar in your training.

Shayne

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am an ecollar advocate and my dogs always wear their ecollars during training. The ecollar is a GREAT training tool and probably one of the best in the toolbox of training tools, BUT it cannot be used for everything which unfortunately some folks seem to believe. I personally love going in the water after a dog when he/she needs correcting and as a rule that maneuver stays with them for some time. For some reason they always seem to feel they're safer in the water!! Nothing like the element of surprise when it comes to dawg training. :roll:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I use an e-collar when I train. The dogs wear the collar every time we train. My 1st lab I started the Nike method back in the late '80s. By the time I got lab #3, early '90's, I became a believer in the benefits of the collar. I went to quite a few tri-tronics seminars and the breeder of my 1st collar dog was a pro and very helpful at getting me started the right way with the collar. But there still are those occassions where a grab of the cheeks and a loud "What the h-ll are you doing!!" :twisted: makes a great impression.

Andy

C

·
0 Posts
I am a firm believer in the tritronics method and used it quite effectively with my pup. Until I lost the transmitter somewhere between the blind and the pickup during early teal season. Since then I have been using the Nike way with success. I have learned both are very effective, and with enough patience I believe amish can produce just as good of results. Don't get me wrong, I will have a new transmitter in two weeks and then we have a little touch up work to do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Guess I'm even more curious about how many (if any) Retriever trainers use an E-C like some pointing dawg folks do strapped to the dawg's belly or inner thigh? Anyone here?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nevada Jim said:
Guess I'm even more curious about how many (if any) Retriever trainers use an E-C like some pointing dawg folks do strapped to the dawg's belly or inner thigh? Anyone here?
JIM!!!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOIN MAN??? This was a perfectly nice thread and everything was just hunki-dori and now you wanna open a can of worms like this???? Why don't you just ask if anyone uses pliers to pinch ears. HAHAHA

Knows at least ONE person on here who'll strap a collar to a dog's belly and it ain't me.

Shayne

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've used it in that manner. Don't make a habit of it but have done it.

Lot easier to put it on the neck, don't normally have to worry about the super freaking out like the first time it's strapped around their belly.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
:) Never say never and never say always. The e-collar has its uses as the does the "old fashion" way. Which by the way preceeded Nike.
I use both. On some dogs you sometimes have to make the correction personal.
My current dog went thru a short period of not wanting to pick up "raunchy birds" at the end of water blind. With an e- collar on he would go the blind and sit at the bird and hold his head up and I could say fetch & nik all day with any level and he would just sit there. A few trips around the pond for the personal touch and problem solved.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Team reebok!! I've used collars in the past with pointers and had great results but this time due to my work schedule requiring me to be gone for a month at a time and knowing that my wife will not use the collar while im gone, i'm all amish on the wonderdawg. Lot more work than when i used a collar but the discipline is the same-refusal=correction, no matter where the dog is. It was 45 degrees here today and while doing some water handling drills i got a complete refusal to the sit whistle, when my wife pulled into the drive i was waist deep in 49 degree water in my hip boots "adjusting wonderdawgs attitude"
I'm enjoying this amish s**t more than i thought i would, feels like we are both putting equal amounts of effort into each training session.

J

·
0 Posts
I have never used a collar, not because I am against them I just have never met anyone who has and I have never learned how. I think it is just a tool like any thing else and it is the misunderstaning and mispplication of it which is a problem. I have just always been a "hands on" kind of guy.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JJ McGuire said:
I have never used a collar, not because I am against them I just have never met anyone who has and I have never learned how. I think it is just a tool like any thing else and it is the misunderstaning and mispplication of it which is a problem. I have just always been a "hands on" kind of guy.
That's a SOLID answer JJ.

Shayne

J

·
0 Posts
I'm training Amish because that was the training method employed at the seminars I attended at Wildrose. I train occasionally with some people that use ecollars. I don't think I know enough about dog training at this time to use a collar. I don't think it's wrong, but I do think collars are overused based on what I have observed. I agree with the statement " If you can't train a dog without an ecollar, you can't train a dog with one."

Jack

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I'm not even smart enough to know how to vote on the silly poll, let alone train with mechanical gizmos.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts