RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What level of stimulation does your dog work best? And do you see in your progression with collar conditioning that the dog is able to handle more?

The reason why I ask is because I have 6 1/2 month BLM that I am introducing the stimulation of the collar as he has been wearing it for over a month now just for fun time but at a level 2 on a Tritronics tube remote he is vocal and works well off of 1 so I will continue to use 1 for any corrections which is perfectly fine if thats where he works but from what I have been told that most Labs or larger breed dogs work more on a 2 and 3 level and cant even feel 1.

I tried the collar on my finger tips and can barely feel 1 and 2 isnt much stronger but I think I am good after that and will stay away from the rest on up.

Have you heard of that?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Sometimes dogs are more vocal at first because it surprises them. But my opinion is to use the level of stimulation that gets the compliance you want. Some dogs are just more sensitive than others. Hank (by Pirate) is a sensitive dog. A medium 2 is a big deal to him. Lots of his work was done at mid and high 1 and low 2.

But being vocal isn't all bad as long as he is complying and not freeking out. You have to read the dog. It would be great to see a video of you working him and his reactions.

Hope this helps.

I hate to be first when I know Glen is lurking out there.

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Old Boss Bitch Gate was a TT 5 medium high only. She was an emotionally sensitive dog that had an unbelievably high pain threshold. Any collar stimulation under that she sloughed off as a Deer Fly bite. Those she would ignore as well. She also hunted wasps / yellow jackets for fun. Odd dog to work. My pup Loco is seeming to be a TT 2 low medium high for anything. Not a screaming wussy, just seems to get it and comply nicely at that level, so no need to turn up.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I use my collar only when necessary and only when the dog understands a violation of the rules. I have had more than a few dogs that started out on a 2 graduate up to a 4 when they are much older and the rule violation or laziness is more flagrant, they may occasionally have it bumped up. I have never had a dog train on a 1. Most adult dogs I train on a 3 or 4 nick. With all the talk of the dial on Dogtra, I can't understand all this changing intensities that often for a single dog, I mean how much are these people correcting? If the dog works well on a 1 that's fine. When you don't get compliance, a 2 may be fine for him and he may never move up more than that.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I use the lowest # that gets the results desired. This all depends on the level of distraction. If I am doing yard work , and I have complete attention the # tends to be lower, if we are in the field and the dog is bound and determined to do something that I am telling them not to, the # tends to get a bit hotter ....so in two words "IT DEPENDS"

Wayne , that was pretty funny!!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Glen is one of the good guys and really understands the Lardy TRT system. I always enjoy his posts.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Watch the Lardy CC video. You want a behavioral change similar to what he gets. Doesn't matter whether or not the dog vocalizes you want the behavior change.

Just as an aside, I've never had a dog I started CC on a 1 but have had one I started on on a 2. Most start CC on a low 3 and after a week or so they get used it and when you take it out to real life, not CC'ing in the yard, you have to move it up to a low or medium 4. Of my 3 dogs, 2 work best on a 4 and the other I should probably work on a 5 as a low 4 doesn't always get a change of behavior, mostly a high 4 will.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My dogs require different levels for different activities. For my young yellow. a 2 on my tritronics gets the point acrossed very easily for OB. FTP takes a 3.5 or 4. indirect pressure on pattern blinds and so forth only takes a 1.5 maybe 2. I huess the point is you have to know your dogs and be able to see very small changes in behavior to know whether or not the correction is acknowledged. Every dog is different. Some dogs are different from day to day.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This for sure. It didn't take long to learn with mine that I needed to turn it up at least one level if there are any other dogs around. I work on 2 most of the time in the yard and 3 on training day. It may go up to 4 for our walk to the line. He is a birdy son of a gun and 2 is nonexistent in that situation.

I use the lowest # that gets the results desired. This all depends on the level of distraction. If I am doing yard work , and I have complete attention the # tends to be lower, if we are in the field and the dog is bound and determined to do something that I am telling them not to, the # tends to get a bit hotter ....so in two words "IT DEPENDS"

Wayne , that was pretty funny!!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I completely agree! But it was still funny!
Glen is one of the good guys and really understands the Lardy TRT system. I always enjoy his posts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replys. I just can't believe that he feels a number 1 and responds very well to it, as my CC is continuing i can tell he understands the pressure but a momentary stimulation gets is attention but a continues stimulation gets a behavioral change as Howard said that you are looking for a behavioral change. Now that its been a couple days past my original post i can tell that i will eventually need to graduate to a number 2. I also talked to the breeder I got my pup from and he said that my pups Dad is the same way where sometimes he is vocal on 2 but that's where he runs him so i guess it runs in the family. I will try and get a video for you on how our training is going as he is, I would say, very obedient without the use of the collar but want to use the collar as an extension of my check cord.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts