RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
321 - 340 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Corral looked SHARP on drive #1 Doc......give me the Ol' Miss whatevers!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Clemps got their butts kicked Saturday on the football field.

I got mine kicked today in the dove field. Didn’t fly great at all. When they did, they avoided my hay bale like the plague. Oh well, still a great Labor Day weekend!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Practicing for a game day tradition like no other.

Doggone, Eric - thought for sure you were alluding to the inaugural Red Tails Classic in Montgomery, The Boeing Red Tails Classic, that is - alas, Fort Valley State 30, Home of the Tuskegee Airmen ('Skegee) 0.

MG

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Yup, everything Our Jacob postulated - and an Ogre/Coach Yaw-yaw Foobaw/Rosy Finch Boyz LLC threat to boot - but let's be real, a bedraggled, discombobulated 'Who ain't good for College Foo-baw, ain't good a'tall.

MG

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

A UBURN — The bird drools over Auburn’s dazzling tradition as much the humans do. h On the last Wednesday morning of August, Spirit is awakened in her Southeastern Raptor Center enclosure at 8 a.m. by Amanda Sweeney. The bald eagle flies to meet her handler at the door, initiating the day’s training session. If she doesn’t want to get up, there’s nothing Sweeney can do to force her. But Spirit has never once declined. She has her daily weight taken, like a wrestler preparing for competition, then is placed in her crate for the familiar ride to Jordan-Hare Stadium. h Spirit has been following a version of this routine every weekday from July through November for the last 19 years — at least 2,200 practice flights over Jordan-Hare Stadium — but she still starts drooling every time she sees the field.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
I am no rookie to college football pageantry beginning as a kid in Fort Worth Texas never missing a TCU home game and college football awareness began with the Frogs and Jim Swink, a star running back. My father was a UT alum and we attended home games in Austin and as a wide eyed 9 year old I entered the Texas locker room thanks to my father and my fondness for Charlie Brewer the starting QB in ‘53 and ‘54. In high school my buddy and I drove to Austin when Texas was number 1 in the polls to see the Arkansas game which UT lost 6-0. For my 14th birthday we traveled by train for the inaugural Bluebonnet Bowl December 19, 1959. TCU versus Clemson and their star lineman Lou Cordeleone. We rode the train to Houston and sat across the isle from some of the prettiest girls in Texas including future 1961 Miss Texas Linda Loftis. We stayed at the Shamrock Hilton Hotel where the Clemson team stayed and we got on an elevator with some Clemson players and they were the largest people I had ever seen. I’ve been to Texas x OU, and Texas versus everyone they played for several years. As a student at TAMU in the late 60s I enjoyed all the pageantry associated with those home games. In 2003 I attended my first SEC game, Auburn vs Alabama in Auburn with my future spouse who was a professor at the college of veterinary medicine. We had 4th row seats very near the handler and that eagle flight exceeded any college football game pageantry I have ever experienced. Sorry for the old timers syndrome lengthy post but perspective of the past was needed for the narrative.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Thanks for the post. I never tire of stories of the past as they show
just how different things were in those early days. I have never been
to a big school FB game!

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Loved the stories about the boogs' eagles.....it's cool to see, especially in person! Great stories Doc, I want to go to a game on a train now.

Rest in peace to THE GREAT college football player Sam Cunningham! Another legend gone.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Loved the stories about the boogs' eagles.....it's cool to see, especially in person! Great stories Doc, I want to go to a game on a train now.

Rest in peace to THE GREAT college football player Sam Cunningham! Another legend gone.
The Shriners were on the train coming home from Houston Sunday morning, they were having a good time, their beverage of choice according to my mother was scotch and milk at 8 AM. As an adult that is Bloody Mary time for me.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Likewise on a morning mater juice! But you were probably on the train with Coy coming home!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I was there, on the 50 yard line, THAT night, rose. Sold my allotment of programs, made five bucks (a dime went into my pocket with each sale) and then claimed a cherished SRO spot at midfield - only to watch the most demoralizing sporting spectacle of my entire 14-year-old life. Just like Bear planned it😉. And then, almost 50 years ago to the day, good ol' DKR (as our buddy Bon called Darrell K. Royal) and Emory Bellard lent Paul W. Bryant a little pigskin legerdemain and

That was also the night I got my first concussion, stoning a kickoff returner for the Phillips High Red Raiders helmet to helmet inside the 15 yard line at "Fair Park Field" (a pretty good place for a collision, since it was actually the infield for Birmingham International Raceway). When I heard the 'Bama score that night and the ground game contribution of the Italian Stallion, Johnny Musso, I thought I'd died and gone to...Dreamland.

MG

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

And here we have the template for old friend Bill Battle, hired as "Fourteenessee's"† (Tennessee) head coach at the ripe old age of 28 years - but a failure at 38 after never beating Bear and 'Bama despite winning against everybody else about 85% of the time. Hard to believe (except for mjh345 maybe) that Terry Brennan as Fightin' Arsh head coach faced 10X the pressure Battle was under at age 25 -

MG

† Straight losses to the Tide and counting

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Dang MG......no wonder we all love the game so much. Now I'm riding a train to a game AND selling programs!

But I will, at this stage pass on "trading paint" of the headgear variety and leave it to Bobby and Donnie! Great story, and #22 is to this day, imo, greater in stature and lore than even Derrick Henry!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Might be forced to bring back the 'bone vs. Mercer today, rose - bringing back photos herein of the young Sela Ward and my gal Peppermint Patti sure gets the sugar maple sap flowing..."Bingo, that was a goody!"

321 - 340 of 409 Posts