Registered
3,622 Posts
Did my wellness physical this AM.
Did you drive yourself here? Yes
Can you read & follow the instructions? Yes
Do you live alone? No
Where do you live? In a house.
Who lives with you? My wife
When did you last take a driving course? A long time ago.
Do people honk at you? No
Maybe you should take a refresher. Not a bad idea, I will.
Great news, Marv! Means when you go to your next field trial, they won't summarily put you under percussion protocols for your, er, "blasting caps" of AA judges! Nah, nah, nah - just joshing. Looks like you got all 10s on staying extant, and didn't even need to line the blind on the eye exam to get called back for the 4th series.

MG

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
You ain't beatin' that NOWHERE! Sandy, acidy, pine tree growin' low country, add a little chicken litter and the SC 'mater don't get no better!

I'm guessing Hillbilly Potato Leaf or Burpy Mr. Stripey?

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
The Elk just stopped by a couple of days ago & did our tomatoes close to the railings
a super trim job. They don't care what stage the tomatoes are in the love to eat them.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Dunno, rose, from a distance I'd conjecture Big Rainbow, you know like Dabo searching for that pot o' gullibility at the end of...

Marv, dogs like 'em too, any stage or "creed" - like these li'lo Ukrainian "Black Vernissage" that go down well over their fightin' weight.

Food Plant Leaf Fruit Natural foods

Thing is, unlike them marauding ungulates on your side of the patch, the dogs' appetite - and taste for tomatoes - can be, you know, trained up a little

Dog Plant Nature Working animal Tree

Dog Dog breed Jaw Carnivore Plant

before they move up to the big leagues of Pruden's Purple (another 'tater leaf variety, rose) or Grandfather Ashlock (likewise-leaved), which like my pup, hail from ol' Kaintuck.

MG

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Few things of summer that impacted my pre-adult life more than "gardening". It was all encompassing for us.

I can recall cutting up seed potatoes in late February and being picked up by Uncle Dick to go quail hunting. Easter was an amazing combo of picking english peas and "gravelling" new potatoes from under the vines with a dinner fork. The "right of spring" was a salad of leaf lettuce, radishes, green onions with crubled bacon and its drippings for dressing. Chopping cabbages under the oaks and filling churns with brine for kraut.

Then summer stick and bush, Blue Lakes, Kentucky Wonders. Picking bushels, breaking, breaking, breaking while watching a baseball game in the den. 250 quarts minimum, seven cans at a time and the look Pop would give me of thanks to God everytime you'd here the pop of a can lid sealing on the kitchen counter as we broke bowl after bowl.

Fourth of July was Siver Queen, Peaches and Cream. The arguments, Daddy's "on the cob" position against Mom's "too much freezer space" cut it off contention. Hundreds of dozens with her, "let if fill out one more day" and him, "it's just right when the kernels aren't touching in the silks". 63 years of compromise.

Then okra, "don't lose my pairing knife and put these socks on your hands, it won't bother your tender skin boy", came the order. On 'till frost. Pop, "I don't care if you had "three a days" we gotta plant these peas for nitrogen". Me, "What do these turnip greens do for soil?" Pop, "Shut up, you know your Mamma loves them!" On past frost.

My, how I miss it. "Take this box home with you son, but bring my jars back", Mom would say. But of it ALL, and there was WAY MORE than mentioned, the first black skillet mess of fried yellow squash the second week of June and the almost concurrent first tomato sandwich(stand over the sink to eat it) are THE BEST!

Though the old bittie vultures were circling when Mom passed, I gave the hundreds and hundreds of quart jars in the cellar to the "under 40" crowd. My favorite remnants are the stainless dish pan, with a few red rider dents, that mom would cook tomatoes in for canning and juicing and the juicer with the wooden pestle, round and round it went!

Thanks JG, you know how it's done well. Thanks MG, what great pictures of quality dogs and envious produce. Thanks Marvin, it's great to know tommies can be raised for family and elk in an environment of such dampness without blight!

In case you're wondering what a long-winded reminiscence has to do with college football, we'd pick the peas in the morning and shell the with a bowl in our lap watching the games in the afternoon!;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
You ain't beatin' that NOWHERE! Sandy, acidy, pine tree growin' low country, add a little chicken litter and the SC 'mater don't get no better!

This one is called buffaloson I believe. Strange name I know and first year we planted 1. Also have some Cherokee purples that are “less meaty” and excellent too.
Don’t get me started on fried okra! My grandmother was the best at it in a skillet pan. Don’t eat much fried food, but can’t turn down fried okra.
Also started cutting the tops and gutting jalapeño peppers in recent years, stuffing with cream cheese and adding maybe bacon or other meat and cooking them on the grill. They make little racks now you can sit on the grill to keep them upright. Tasty little appetizers.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
But of course LSU has never had a problem player 😳
Had “Everybody’s All-American” filmed down there too - but nothing like an AllBran CinemaScope production that’s gotta be their best since Burt and Sally came to town for “Norma Rae.” Some Cannes-worthy big-budgeted “‘Fraidy Night Lights” right here - wonder if Bon Mallori was a dialog coach for his buddy “Hars” (rhymes with farce)?

MG

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Never? Obviously that’s not true. With this new staff, not really. I can say this much, things are going in the right direction for LSU.
Hopefully that translates into the W column which seems to be
the only acceptable & measurable criteria.

Reactions: Jacob Hawkes

·
Registered
853 Posts
Never? Obviously that’s not true. With this new staff, not really. I can say this much, things are going in the right direction for LSU.
I love the optimism! Jacob is back on the LSU train!! It comes and it goes in the bayou it seems. I remember OB jr tossing out bills/ “making it rain” or whatever this generation says after your last Natty under the shrimp boat captain, pre NIL. Ha!! Glad you are back! I’m genuinely curious as to how this Kelly experiment goes for all parties. ND might get the best of this scenario. Time will tell.

221 - 240 of 242 Posts