RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
881 - 888 of 888 Posts

· Registered
10,711 Posts
& in other AL news - The AL BB team is ranked 2nd in the nation.
Rose or mk, ever been to a game?

Reactions: roseberry

· Registered
3,780 Posts
& in other AL news - The AL BB team is ranked 2nd in the nation.
Oughtn't ask that question, Marv - too much 'Bama hoops baggage carried along the last 60 years including the great idea to integrate (sorry, Guvnuh Jawge C. Wuthless) only 50 of them years ago.

But, yes, "we" a basketball school now -

MG

· Registered
6,962 Posts
Oh yes Marvin, many times. I saw every Alabama "great" from Leon Douglas and Reginald "The Mule" King to Antonio McDyes and Spree. CM Newton and Wimp Sanderson were objects of great respect in my youth.

Somehow my basketball obsession just faded, more about that in a moment. However, the "one and done" kid playing this season is SMOOOOOOOOTH! I've watched part of one game.

Two things about ABB. 1. Pay Nate Oats whatever it takes because he should be at Duke. 2. The Colosseum must be replaced with a modern basketball facility.

Now the funny part, not only have I been to games at that ancient Colosseum, I've played there. We had won "the area" beating the white boys from Sand Mountain and reigning state champs. We were scheduled to play Autaugaville in round 1 and it was the last game of the night.

After a 3 hour drive with team, coaches and cheerleaders on one bus we checked in at the Days Inn on McFarland Blvd. Our game was at 8 and you can't imagine the surprise when the coaches said, "We are going over to scout and watch games, anyone who want to come can. But if you'd rather stay here and rest that's OK too." We all looked back and forth at each other in amazement, girls and guys and said, "Na, we will stay here and rest up,"

The party that ensued that afternoon is, to this day, remembered as EPIC in the legend of Stevenson athletics and hedonism in general.

I do not remember the circumstances that had propelled me to a "starter" that night but I hit a baseline j and we were ahead eight to zero when the coach at Autaugaville called timeout midway through the first and I was replaced by a "regular". That timeout was EFFECTIVE, Autaugaville led 44 to 8 at halftime!

When we returned it was spring break and I missed the following week's investigations and punishments by being the junior class representative at Presidential Classroom in D.C. I elected to not participate in basketball my hs senior year, as I recall I was opposed to how my mates were punished and it interfered with my duck hunting anyway.

A very long answer when YES would have sufficed.

· Registered
3,780 Posts
Oughtn't ask that question, Marv - too much 'Bama hoops baggage carried along the last 60 years including the great idea to integrate (sorry, Guvnuh Jawge C. Wuthless) only 50 of them years ago.
‘bout that baggage, Marv - c.f. an essentially .500 Oklahoma 93, No. 2 and trying poorly Alabaggage 69.
Never in a hundred years, much less on any given tipoff, would such pathetic fate befall ‘Bama football.

hey. rose - Big daddy Ken McKinney still with us in the greater Stevenson environs?

MG

· Registered
6,962 Posts
MG, Coach passed last year. He was back in Mississippi at the time, buried in Corinth. I did not attend as i missed the announcement. A polarizing figure. I cannot count on two hands the number of times he'd be ejected and I'd coach 3'rd taking signs through the station wagon windshield.¹ A football man with baseball in his heart.

¹good baseball coaches park on 3rd base line in case strategy requires they be ejected. Especially those who will do ANYTHING to win. Here's to Coach!

· Registered
10,711 Posts
‘bout that baggage, Marv - c.f. an essentially .500 Oklahoma 93, No. 2 and trying poorly Alabaggage 69.
Never in a hundred years, much less on any given tipoff, would such pathetic fate befall ‘Bama football.

hey. rose - Big daddy Ken McKinney still with us in the greater Stevenson environs?

MG
Picked it up just after the 1/2, watched about 5 minutes, pretty bad.
Really bad passing & shooting. They'll still make the Sweet 16, not
the team I saw previously.

881 - 888 of 888 Posts