RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm red green color blind. If I use the yellow (they could be bright green) flagging tape my dog picks them out easily. If I use red or orange he doesn't see them as well, but I can't see them at all at distances of 75 yards or greater. Orange stakes (fiberglass electric fence type) are a bit easier for me to see and the dog seem to see them better than me. Maybe its the size etc...

I outsmarted myself tonight by putting out a yellow flag (decoy) about 125 yards from the line, then placing a red flag about 10 yards away downwind from the yellow flag with the bumpers. Got the suction you'd expect from the yellow flag and handled away from it. Only problem is I could not see the red flag so my depth perception is off and I end up with 3 or 4 extra whistles that were 100% my fault and they did nothing to help train my dog.

For what it's worth I use landmarks whenever I can, but that is not always possible. I've also seen blind stakes made out of fake Christmas tree limbs that seemed to work okay.

I'm sure part of the solution is more experience on my part, but I'm hoping some of the other color blind folks out there might share their secrets or ideas. Feel free to chime in even if your not color blind.

Thanks,

John Buesgens

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Run Longer Blinds....

Blinds so long that it'll take paintin a telephone pole orange or green or Pink or what ever colore you want....

You will soon lean to pick out landmarks, and cover differences to know where yer pile is!!!

Ferget the tape... Blind Poles,, and Hula skirted belley dancers!!!

:razz::razz::razz:

Just bein my cutsie toosie self...

Gooser

·
Registered
695 Posts
a person I know bought plastic sunflowers at a crafts store.
they are the coolest blind stakes you never scene!.
We have a couple of judges down here that do the same. Dogs don't see them at all. They are just part of the landscape.

Janet

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm so glad someone came out of the closet and asked this question. I, too, have dog vision. My poor training group is so fed up with me asking, "what orange flag?"
And now, after all my many years of suffering, Mr. Bora, once again, has the answer. Articial flowers.
Brilliant.
My suffering is over. Life is about to get way more complicated for a little four-legged rascal I know.

·
Registered
412 Posts

These are two I made. I salvaged an artificial X-mas tree branch for one. I used dollar store ivy swags and a flower for the other. I used electric fence post stakes for both. You'd be surprised the difference breaking up the silhouette of the poles makes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have fought this all my life. Great idea about the flowers. Every time I run a test I have to have the blind planter walk out to the blind to point it out for me. Many times I think Iv'e got the dog on the blind only to be off and I watch his nose and give him the final cast. Good thing I reienforce the sit whistle. I think the dog knows I'm color blind and he says no its over here dummy.:confused:

·
Registered
8,353 Posts
I am not color blind, but both of my sons are. But it took us a while as parents to realize it.

One day training last summer, we had a frustrating session.

I'd walked around the pond while the boys played their Nintendos or whatever they were doing. I planted a blind and tied orange surveyor's tape in the cat tails.

I went back around and got ready to run the dog on the blind. My younger son was sincerely interested and I was trying to show him where the blind was, and how I was going to try and handle the dog to the blind, where the factors were, etc.

Sammy and I spent a very frustrating 10 minutes or so with him repeatedly not seeing the ribbon, and me repeatedly showing him exactly where it was. Finally the wind picked up and the ribbon blew and fluttered. He saw it and then I finally appreciated color blindness for people.

To Sammy, that ribbon was the same color as the cat tails and the grass behind it.

I'm glad I got the chance to really understand how someone else can't see the color that I can see as plain as day.

I think there are all sorts of situations (not just color perception) where we get our signals crossed, because what seems clear to us, may not be evident to the other guy....

Deep huh? :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
No Ken, just a bit of blaze orange spray paint, kinda makes it look likes it's dying on the top. Battery operated lights can be added for night time blinds but those black dogs are hard to see.

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
I think there are all sorts of situations (not just color perception) where we get our signals crossed, because what seems clear to us, may not be evident to the other guy....

Deep huh? :D

very
as if you had a chance to ask your dog what is seen.
and you show off goldenites whos dogs see orange ribbon,
hush!
the way we talk can be the same. Like when a guy
says he is training with a pole, and he shows up with
a Slavic feller ;-)

·
Registered
583 Posts

These are two I made. I salvaged an artificial X-mas tree branch for one. I used dollar store ivy swags and a flower for the other. I used electric fence post stakes for both. You'd be surprised the difference breaking up the silhouette of the poles makes.

IN SERIOUS NEED OF A "LIKE" BUTTON!! :razz: THOSE ARE AWESOME!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have fought the "where is the blind issue" for years. I try to pick out landmarks, and watch several dogs run to know where it is, and plot "hit this spot" points on the way to the blind.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I have fought this all my life. Great idea about the flowers. Every time I run a test I have to have the blind planter walk out to the blind to point it out for me. Many times I think Iv'e got the dog on the blind only to be off and I watch his nose and give him the final cast. Good thing I reienforce the sit whistle. I think the dog knows I'm color blind and he says no its over here dummy.:confused:
I learned my lesson the hard way on this the year before last when my boy was running senior. He picked up the marks and we went back to the holding blind while they planted the blind. Thought I knew where it was until I got to the line and could not find it for the life of me. One of the judges came up and tried to help by pointing it out, I thought I saw it and kicked off my dog. I'm handling him to where I thought the blind was until one of the judges says "You know the blind is WAY to the right, right?" Ugh. Ended up having to pick the poor dog up because I didn't have a clue as to where the damned blind was.

Later, I was telling my friend/pro what happend and he says "Why didn't you just have them ask the blind planter to walk out to the blind so you could find it?". Since he is color blind he's had to do this in trials. I was so flustered it never crossed my mind that I could ask. Really made me appreciate what color blind folks go through.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'm red green color blind. If I use the yellow (they could be bright green) flagging tape my dog picks them out easily. If I use red or orange he doesn't see them as well, but I can't see them at all at distances of 75 yards or greater. Orange stakes (fiberglass electric fence type) are a bit easier for me to see and the dog seem to see them better than me. Maybe its the size etc...

I outsmarted myself tonight by putting out a yellow flag (decoy) about 125 yards from the line, then placing a red flag about 10 yards away downwind from the yellow flag with the bumpers. Got the suction you'd expect from the yellow flag and handled away from it. Only problem is I could not see the red flag so my depth perception is off and I end up with 3 or 4 extra whistles that were 100% my fault and they did nothing to help train my dog.

For what it's worth I use landmarks whenever I can, but that is not always possible. I've also seen blind stakes made out of fake Christmas tree limbs that seemed to work okay.

I'm sure part of the solution is more experience on my part, but I'm hoping some of the other color blind folks out there might share their secrets or ideas. Feel free to chime in even if your not color blind.

Thanks,

John Buesgens
I don't think my color blindness is red/green, so I don't know if my solution will work for you but it is worth a try.

I can see florescent orange/safety orange, but it does not "pop" for me unless it is in direct sunlight or is a big long piece of tape flapping in the breeze, etc. If it isn't in direct sunlight, once I find the blind stake/flagging if I take my eye off of it and look back it disappears.

Using other alternatives in training is all well and good, but when you are at a hunt test and they mark the blind with a small bit of orange tape you need a solution for that too.

I stumbled on this at a hunt test years ago when I remembered that I had some shooting glasses in my truck. They are the type that come with 4-5 different color lenses. I walked up behind the final holding blind and held each lens up until I determined which ones made the orange flagging stand out the most in the current lighting conditions and those are the ones I wore to run my dog. Now I always make sure I have them when I go to a hunt test.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.