RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is everyone OK up by Fort Collins?

If not, post your SOS and I can help out if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Johnny M,,,,,,,,,, are you OK??

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
David mentioned his house may be threatened by the fire - John??? Anyone else???

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My cell is 970-214-9205, if anyone needs help.

I have plenty of room if anyone gets tired of the 4H barn in Loveland. I am in Windsor 10 minutes from The Ranch.

Pass the word, anything to help out. If I do not have what you need we can find someone that does.

John, any help needed with the horses? We can find a pasture quickly. Just call.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are by Wellington and are okay, about 8 miles east from fire. Very heavy smoke depending on wind. John is in Masonville, south of the fire. So far, that area is okay. First row of foothills north of Fort Collins. It's very scary and one is very helpless. We, too, could take dogs. Already have a friend's German Shepherd when they evacuated yesterday. They've called in the big guns, so hopefully things will start to look up.
Barb Branstad

·
Registered
407 Posts
First I'd like to say thank you to all who have offered help and shelter for my family and animals. I've been humbled by the generosity of my friends. Second, We are right on the edge of the evacuation area, the fires seem to be ~5 miles from my house but evacuations have been as close as 2 miles. Seems like everything from Masonville NW up the Buckhorn and NE towards inlet bay have been evacuated. The problem is the limited escape routes and with the fire moving quickly I expect the authorities don't want to wait til the last minute to get everyone out. We are packed and ready to go. Today was better as the winds blew the smoke and fire away from us. Prayers for those affected, I have friends well within the burn areas and I don't know if their houses survived. Thanks again for the offers of help. As of the moment we are ok.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
http://www.9news.com/images/High-Park-Fire-Perimeter-36930acres.jpg
Damn, take care John. I saw on the news the smoke is all the way into Canada.

DENVER - It wasn't that long ago when a 10,000-acre forest fire would have been considered monstrous in the state of Colorado. Now, it wouldn't even get into the top ten of most destructive fires in the state's history.
"I think we are entering a new era of fires," CSU Professor Emeritus Bill Romme explained on Monday. Romme is a professor in fire ecology and studied the 2002 Hayman Fire extensively. "I think we've got a very serious problem on our hands and more fire in our future."
Romme believes a changing climate has a lot to do with it. "The (fire) upsurge is very closely related to the climactic conditions during that time," he said. "The summers have been noticeably warmer. The snow has been melting out earlier in the spring."
Even climate change deniers would have a hard time denying that fires appear to be getting much larger in the state. Of the ten largest fires in the state's history, only one hasn't occurred in the last decade.
The Hayman Fire of 2002 remains the largest wildfire in the state's history. It burned more than 137,000 acres. In fact, on one day, the Hayman Fire burned more than 60,000 acres and raced more than 17 miles.
"Here in Colorado that was a wakeup call for a number of communities," said Steve Segin, public information officer with the Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center.
Segin said forest management has a lot to do with the situation. "Historically a fire would start and it would burn out just the undergrowth. It would be a lower intensity," he said. But a century's worth of fire suppression tactics done throughout the west has created densely-packed forests ripe for fast-moving fires. "It has created unhealthy forest conditions," he said.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you all get a chance, and have some extra hay, they could use it at the Budwiser center, they have alot of horses, and farm animals there and we were there taking some dog food to them, and it didnt look like alot of hay was there, there are over 100 horses there,

Joe if you could just pray that the smoke goes away, that would be great too, it is really bad out here, I cant imagine what it is like in Ft Collins,

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Fire at approx 5 hrs after it started..
It was just a wisp of smoke when our training group spotted it saturday Morning..

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Fire at approx 5 hrs after it started..
It was just a wisp of smoke when our training group spotted it saturday Morning..

Just awful! Hope everyone out there stays safe! Thoughts with you!

Chris

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I hope they get this under control, looks terrible.

If you want to see the latest fire info from the US Forest Service go to this link.
http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/googleearth.php

Once there download the last of the KML links listed below the map: AFM KML Bundle: Current
Click on the downloaded kml file in your download folder to launch it in Google Earth. Takes a minute or two for map data to load.
When you see map populate with data zoom into Ft Collins or the Front Range.
Interesting.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Then and Now.

That little dot is the Sun,,,,,,,, And I am around 15 miles from the fire!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kevin,

I think you are worse off with the smoke, last night was the only bad time for us. Its all skirting up your way and leaving Windsor in mostly clear air.

John, take care and if you need a place to stay, we have plenty of room in Windsor.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Prayers to all of you in Colorado.... This is going to be a very bad year out west for fires. We are fighting ten or so as we speak in Utah as well.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
We have had a bunch of fires already this year. Fortunately, they haven't been great big ones but we are about due. Been a couple years. You all stay safe!

·
Registered
37 Posts
We just got the news today that my cousin and his wife lost their home and everything they have worked so hard to build. We are all glad they are safe but I feel so bad for them and that I live so far away and cannot really help them. Things like this make you really look around and appreciate what you have and that it can be gone in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This was the view from my front yard on Sunday afternoon.

short video of the smoke plume

This morning trying to decide about leaving for work

Drive into work this am

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
John - be safe. I know its a haul, but we have room too if you need to house a few dogs.

Lainee

1 - 20 of 33 Posts