RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been training for SH this spring. Four year old Chesapeake. CoVid kept us at home last year.
Inexplicably, dog has started simply leaving the line on blind retrieves going dead left. I sit him and go heel him back to the line to start over. He did this five times today at the training facility
I heeled/lined him up on my right side thinking it would abbreviate his actions and he literally ran across my body to go left.
This dog has been forced with a toe hitch. He has been force to back/blinds on land and water.
He has been all I could ask for. Marks with class and runs/swims very robustly. You can’t take your eyes off his ground game. Race horse stuff. But, for some reason. He has started breaking left on his casts and it is confusing.
I made a big pile of bumpers today in a clean school field at 150 yards. After I had to stop him and restart once, he ran six bumpers with joy and great ease.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice suggestion. Back to basics. Why do I second guess?
I was hoping someone had a neurological opinion.
Thank you.

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
Nice suggestion. Back to basics. Why do I second guess?
I was hoping someone had a neurological opinion.
Thank you.
Contrary to popular Urban myth. Most of the Chesapeake Bay Retriever craziness is found on the high end of the leash.😃
Sometimes it is as simple as making it fun again for the dog. I would start with a few blind retrieves with Shackled live ducks at the end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts