RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During training today, we decided to mess with the big dogs a little bit. Here's the set-up, dog comes out of the truck and is at heel on the way to the line and a dry shot is fired to set up a 150 yard blind. We have a gunner at about 70 yards out and about 30 yards off the blind line. Dog is sent on the blind, when the dog is @ about 60 yards the gunner calls, shoots and throws a dead duck in an angle back direction AWAY from the blind line. First run results on three master level dogs, all took alot of pressure to keep off of mark thrown. Next run was easier. What do you think about this in a master test?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a diversion, so you can handle if needed.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I saw it in a test four or five years ago. It did not attain the desired results as the dogs handled it just fine.

The way to handle the diversion is hit a hard long sit whistle while the duck call is sounding. The dog turns and does not see the diversion thrown. Run the diversion as a blind after you finish the blind you are running.

It was fun

Richard

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what if the dog is sitting on a whistle sit when the diversion is thrown. Then what?
Thats fine, in fact as the gunner started to call we would blow the sit whistle. Problem was getting them to listen to it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Saw something similar at an HRCH finished test last Fall in GA. Many failed that test. Think it is something to train for.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Haven't been on here in a couple monthes and the first thing I click on most likely will be a controversial thread.

My take, throw a poison bird befor the the dog is sent and be done with it , no need to distract the dog in the middle of the blind being run, with calls , a shot , or a bird being thrown. To many variables. It may be a really good training setup but a judges nightmare if you ask me..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Ran this at a master test on the water blind. You had to pick it up after the blind and your dog needed to see the bird that was thrown because the judges said they would mark you down if you handled to it. I argued that it was a derivation bird so you shouldn't be marked down for handling which didn't do any good. Some of the dogs were passed it when they threw it and didn't see it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sounds like a combination mark, diversion, blind to me depending on what the dog see's or doesn't see. Have fun with it boys!
It would never be judged as a mark if presented the way you describe cause the dog didn't see it from the line;)

I have no problem with outgoing diversions and ocasionally train for them. Not hard to think of how it can/does happen in hunting too...

Steve

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Seems like one of those "train for it once or twice, dog gets the concept, don't train for it again 'cause you'll do more harm than good" kind of things.

So as a test--am I testing the dog, or am I testing if the dog's handler read this thread?

Honest question--maybe this IS something a master dog should be able to do. Curious how many people have it on their to-do list.

I can't see how this can possibly be scored as anything other than a diversion, though.

Overall--from the judge's side, I wouldn't mess with it. There are other ways to test a dog's trainability.

From the handler's side--I haven't done it with my young dog, but I might not do it until she's older, anyway. If she does something once, she'll do it a thousand times--I might have her popping every time she sees a gun station on the way to a blind.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would never be judged as a mark if presented the way you describe cause the dog didn't see it from the line;)

I have no problem with outgoing diversions and ocasionally train for them. Not hard to think of how it can/does happen in hunting too...

Steve
It would have to be judged as a diversion, NOT a mark.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Seems to me there are other/better ways to test a dogs trainability and/or control than this. I agree it's not something I would train on more than to show the concept to the dog. And NO WAY it should be considered a mark as already mentioned above.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
During training today, we decided to mess with the big dogs a little bit. Here's the set-up, dog comes out of the truck and is at heel on the way to the line and a dry shot is fired to set up a 150 yard blind. We have a gunner at about 70 yards out and about 30 yards off the blind line. Dog is sent on the blind, when the dog is @ about 60 yards the gunner calls, shoots and throws a dead duck in an angle back direction AWAY from the blind line. First run results on three master level dogs, all took alot of pressure to keep off of mark thrown. Next run was easier. What do you think about this in a master test?
If the dog is allowed to warm up properly I guess it wouldn't be bad training. However, for a dog to sit in the box for awhile and then be expected to come out and run a 150 yd blind is asking for a torn CCL.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.