RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a semi rant, but it is also to make a point.....

If you have a dog that is dog aggressive DO NOT park close to other dog trucks, especially if they are there first and then be rude because a person has a dog tied out at the back of their truck and you want to get your dog aggressive dog out. Have the common courtesy to park away from the other vehicles and walk the extra distance.

Just Saying,

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul,

I'm serious.....people with dog aggressive dogs need to think before they pull into a parking area for an event.

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
People with dog-aggressive dogs need to think twice before ENTERING an event. :x

You can't fix stupid regards, :?

kg

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Sounds like you ran into the very same person I did! (cant be though, mine was at HT in SC, you at FT in CO or somewhere out west :wink: )

I had just staked my dog out by my truck to let him finish cooling off before putting him in his crate, and a lady with a truck full of Goldens pulls up almost right on top of me. She jumps out and immediately starts getting a dog out, I ask politely, is my dog in your way, thinking she is going to trip over the chain. She looks over her shoulder and snaps, no your not in the way but I hope "Fluffy" (or whatever name it was) doesnt "rip his face off". Needless to say, I took Indy to the other side of the truck! :evil: I couldnt believe it!

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
2tall said:
Sounds like you ran into the very same person I did! (cant be though, mine was at HT in SC, you at FT in CO or somewhere out west :wink: )

I had just staked my dog out by my truck to let him finish cooling off before putting him in his crate, and a lady with a truck full of Goldens pulls up almost right on top of me. She jumps out and immediately starts getting a dog out, I ask politely, is my dog in your way, thinking she is going to trip over the chain. She looks over her shoulder and snaps, no your not in the way but I hope "Fluffy" (or whatever name it was) doesnt "rip his face off". Needless to say, I took Indy to the other side of the truck! :evil: I couldnt believe it!
Hummm...I might have a good idea of who that was. I have heard and seen the same thing from someone wo fits your discription

·
Registered
221 Posts
K G said:
People with dog-aggressive dogs need to think twice before ENTERING an event. :x

You can't fix stupid regards, :?

kg
I agree leave them at home :evil:

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Whether a dog is dog aggressive or not, it should be trained to come off the truck under control. Stays in the hole until given permission, and comes to heel when it hits the ground. I can't see a dog trained well enough for competition that can't be trained to be under control of it's handler at all times.

It's really unfair for folks to subject other's dogs to an aggressive dog. Once attacked, especially a young dog can learn to take the initiative on it's own and start striking pre-emptively to give itself the upper hand.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Yes, they do....but unfortunately there has to be "contact" before any proceedings can be initiated.

I can assure you that I would go on record in writing at any field event where I observed a dog being aggressive toward another dog. Doing so puts the aggressive dog on record with that event and therefore with the AKC. Even though no true action can take place until "contact" is made, forewarned is forearmed.

kg

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
How many of you while at a ht or ft do tie out your dogs? If so, do you only leave them out while you are standing there? Or to dry off for a minute? Or will you actually leave them tied out why you are not very near by?

My experience is limited to hunt tests for a few years but, I rarely see anyone tie out there dog at all.

G

·
tshuntin said:
How many of you while at a ht or ft do tie out your dogs? If so, do you only leave them out while you are standing there? Or to dry off for a minute? Or will you actually leave them tied out why you are not very near by?

My experience is limited to hunt tests for a few years but, I rarely see anyone tie out there dog at all.
I tie my dogs out 99% of the time unless I'm in a rush to get to another stake. I try to have my truck off in a "cubby hole" somewhere that i can tie the dogs out where there won't be people or dog traffic. I will not tie my dogs out in and area of high traffic. If I feel like someone might drive by or walk through, I set out a bunch of chairs, blind poles and tape it off with orange ribbon.

I would prefer to tie my dogs out for a while after they run. That's not always possible. But at some tests, my dogs get to chill out on tie-outs for a good part of the day.

I don't leave dogs on that are unsecure... Although I will admit that for the first time ever, I had an escapee at the wiregrass test -- one of my younger dogs that wasn't running and he snuck off and wandered into the gallery. Not something I'm proud of, of course. But as a rule, I don't tie out dogs that are going to bark or get lose. SOMETIMES, if some of my naughtier dogs can see me as I walk a long way away, they may bark... But in general, they're really well-behaved.

-K

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In this case I was sitting on the tailgate of the truck next to me jaw-jacking with a friend I had not seen for a long while, but Bullet was within sight. The thing that got my goat was the person didn't even have any manners in the situation - acted as if it was my fault for having my dog on a tie out. Had the person used just a little bit of courtesy it wouldn't of bothered me if he would of asked me to move bullet rather than command/demand that I do, this person was a TOTAL A-HOLE.

It is people like this person that completely validates the persona that FTers are stuck up and arogant a-holes......

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
This thread is worthless without names.................

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
I was airing my male a few years ago before running and a male dog runs up to my dog with no owner with hackles up and posturing. As I told my dog to come here, a veteran FTler comes around the truck and says, "oh, did that bother you?" I took it as it was done on purpose before I ran by his remark.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
I dont know, I was at a hunt test, the person in question was running several in Junior, and she proved that no one sport holds the title of aholism. Rude is Rude, bad dogs are bad dogs, and I would prefer to keep mine from ever being attacked. I do like to put him on the stake out because I believe he cools out better and is more relaxed. Sort of like a picnic as opposed to sitting in the "cage". But I would never leave him unattended, especially after that.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I also feel for the dogs that are tied out.

Sometimes Mrs Gooser ties me out at these HT's. Its the [email protected] to have other aggresive dogs come around and pee on ya or take a nip out a your arse when Ya are snoozin!

Some People!!

I cant believe you though Lainee!! Why YOU,, being the Snooty Field Trial Queen,, I'm suprised ya dint kick his BuTT between his ears! :lol:

Gooser

G

·
If any dog approaches my dog either while we're in the holding blind or en route to wherever, I will kick that dog away. I don't especially want to kick the dog, but I'm certainly not going to end up with a dog fight...

For anyone who's inexperienced with dogs "meeting" one another for the first time... It's certainly not a good idea for them to choose to "introduce themselves" in the excitement of a test or trial. If a dog approaches your's, don't be afraid to defend your dog by knocking the other dog away and saying something like "get" or "knock it off". Even if the dog seemes well-intended... Not worth the risk.

If someone wants to write me up one day for kicking another dog away, so be it. :) I've had it happen just a few times while waiting in a holding blind. and I'm not mad at the dog or anything, I just want it out of "our" space... So NOBODY gets in trouble!

-K

1 - 20 of 31 Posts