RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how many of you take your dogs for a run with a 4 wheeler ? How often and how far ? Started today and just did about 2 miles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I run my lab, Brittney, and my wife's golden lab mix about a mile almost every day off of the Ranger. We go longer when its cool enough to keep them from over heating and the rattlesnakes slowed down. It really keeps everybody in shape, even the guys that don't train regularly.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I run mine with ranger 3-4 times per week just under a mile. He tops out at 27mph (disclaimer-I do not run him at top speed for a full mile every time, just sayin it's been done)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I run mine with ranger 3-4 times per week just under a mile. He tops out at 27mph (disclaimer-I do not run him at top speed for a full mile every time, just sayin it's been done)
My ylf teases me until I run her all out, but like you, only for 100 - 200 yard sprints.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I road mine about 3 times per week. My one competitive dog gets about two miles at a good run, downhill for one mile, uphill for the other. I come back and pick up the others and go 10 to 15 minutes at an easy trot.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah we run a square quarter mile field and he's usually a good half lap ahead, just loves to open it up!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would but my luck I'd run over my dog.

Lonster

·
Registered
122 Posts
I start roading mine starting the first week of October every year when the days get shorter. I train enough during the summer to keep them in really good shape. In October, I start out at mile a day between 10-12 MPH. I increase 1/4 mile every four days until we are at 3 miles and then we usually stay with that. Really helps my dogs when they are in good shape for hunting season.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It saves a bunch of time and is far safer to simply run em on a treadmill for about half an hour while you shower and shave.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Please do be careful with that! I have heard several tragic stories about running over dogs. Maybe Sharon Potter will post up about the rig she uses to keep dogs safe?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Gumbo won't run with the 4-wheeler. He jumps on and LOVES to ride!

·
Registered
275 Posts
David,

Must be a spaniel thing. My Boykin is the same. She does far better just going on runs with me rather than roading.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
2.5 mile free run in the morning when I walk, 2.5 miles with the Grizzly most evenings when I get home

1 - 16 of 16 Posts