RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
HT dogs do not generally fare very well in FT's because they are not adequately trained for the precision required, and the handlers have been satisfied with 'good enough' rather than striving to be the best.
In both cases, it is the human element which is the weak link.

That is the first really reasonably thought out response to my pose..........................and for the most part; I would agree...................

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
That is the first really reasonably thought out response to my pose..........................and for the most part; I would agree...................
I agree, good post by Paul.
Also have you noticed that something described as "good enough" rarely is?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wouldnt the srs answer these questions they run series in all disciplines.
No it wouldn’t. The SRS is a great event and lots of fun. But the best FT dogs are not taking time from running field trials to go run an SRS (or a hunt test or the Grand). Lots of really talented dogs run the SRS. But the best FT dogs will still not be there.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No it wouldn’t. The SRS is a great event and lots of fun. But the best FT dogs are not taking time from running field trials to go run an SRS (or a hunt test or the Grand). Lots of really talented dogs run the SRS. But the best FT dogs will still not be there.
And additionally handling on Mark's is not penalized nearly as severely in SRS as it is field trials.
And they DON'T USE BIRDS to test bird dogs?!?!!!??

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Wouldnt the srs answer these questions they run series in all disciplines.
When FT dogs have a weekend off it is usually because they need it. If they did not the would be at a field trial.
And additionally handling on Mark's is not penalized nearly as severely in SRS as it is field trials.
Not very familiar with SRS rules but I believe blinds are judged differently as well.
There are times in training I will handle on a mark in training, such as avoiding cover or water. Handling on a mark in most other instances is contrary and can create problems, so I avoid it.
And they DON'T USE BIRDS to test bird dogs?!?!!!??
Because it was made for TV and we can't expose the tender masses to murdered mallards.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
You mean you don’t wear your white, with your black handlers gloves, and whistle in mouth the whole time your dog is running???
I don't think I wore white at all for the derby and I know I never wore gloves or used a whistle. (unless she could not pick me out when returning with a bird, I don't recall)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just figured out you’re talking about and all age finish for a Lily. She made it to the last series of the Watopa am. She got the flyer and then decided she should go to the long retired second against my recommendation. She got it with one handle but not quick enough I was asked to honor on lead.
Her mama won it.
That's a heartbreaker!! It won't be the last time sadly tho lol. Hell of an animal, will be fun watching her grow up, i am sure ill see ya sometime this winter

Reactions: drunkenpoacher

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I got it.
Some people wear white in a derby simply because that is what the dog is used to in training.
I usually wear white as well but sometimes I don't because it can keep a dog a little calmer. Just the act of putting on white can rev them up more than they already are at an event.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
"Just figured out you’re talking about and all age finish for a Lily. She made it to the last series of the Watopa am. She got the flyer and then decided she should go to the long retired second against my recommendation. She got it with one handle but not quick enough I was asked to honor on lead.
Her mama won it. "

Thats the kind of mistake youngsters are prone to make.
Still a really good effort from what is basically a teenager. I'm sure you were very pleased.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
Thats the kind of mistake youngsters are prone to make.
Still a really good effort from what is basically a teenager. I'm sure you were very pleased.
Thanks Paul, I was very pleased with her.
The left mark was a stand out and thrown into the waters edge, the dogs could see the splash. She was headed toward it and then turned taking more water. I could see that she was thinking, trying to be good is the way I read it. In hind sight, I probably should have handled right there.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Blue ribbons are rare for nearly all of us. Congratulations Stan!

Chris
I see Loran Marmes hit a "like button" on this topic.

Yesterday afternoon Loran picked up a Blue for Blu. (For their Mid Illinois Amateur win.) His family was all wearing a little bit of Blue. I was proud to be there to see it. Loran, congratulations to you and your small but effective amateur group for the amazing results you guys achieve.

Sincerely, Chris

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I see Loran Marmes hit a "like button" on this topic.

Yesterday afternoon Loran picked up a Blue for Blu. (For their Mid Illinois Amateur win.) His family was all wearing a little bit of Blue. I was proud to be there to see it. Loran, congratulations to you and your small but effective amateur group for the amazing results you guys achieve.

Sincerely, Chris
And 4th place with Trace. Great weekend for Loran Marmes (JR)
Congratulations

61 - 80 of 99 Posts