RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

Registered
I see Loran Marmes hit a "like button" on this topic.

Yesterday afternoon Loran picked up a Blue for Blu. (For their Mid Illinois Amateur win.) His family was all wearing a little bit of Blue. I was proud to be there to see it. Loran, congratulations to you and your small but effective amateur group for the amazing results you guys achieve.

Sincerely, Chris
Thank you Chris and Stan, it was a fun day and was made special being able to do it as a family. The pretty blonde in the blue is who makes this possible, throwing birds, transporting dogs to training all while being a mom to my boy as well as taking care of my grown ass lol. we'll see ya guys around :) thank you again

Registered
I'm gonna go out on a limb here..........................I'd be willing to bet that many GRHRCH dogs would fare better in a "field trial".....................than a FC would
in the Grand!!!!
In 2005 Clearwater Farms, Bruce, MS and 2006 Flint Oak, Fall River, KS there were two "World Retriever Championships". They were 10 series events with a coin toss, camo on one side/white on the other, at the opening dinner. The coin toss determined the starting/final series.

The event had 4 judges, 2 Field Trial/2 Hunt Test. The series alternated - hunt test/field trial. One of the primary drivers of the event, which paid $20k to the winner, was quotes just like the above.

Some on this site judged, worked, ran, attended the event. Instead of going out on a limb, folks paid $500 entry fee and put their money out there to demonstrate excellence.

Dorkweed, I'm happy you are so proud of your venue. The HRC is very fortunate to have loyal participants like you.

I'd offer that HRC and the AKC are equally fortunate to have participants who are capable of balancing and appreciating the rulebooks, cultures and operation of both venues. It is possible to participate in both and not do either any disrespect or disservice. Paul Young does it. He judged the 2006 Flint Oak WRC.

Good luck at your Grand this Fall! Chris

Registered
Congrats are in order again for Drunkenpoacher.
His little girl Lily got second at the Derby in mid Iowa and also got a reserve Jam in the qual.
Congrats also to Jamie Forqueran and Jeff Stenzenbach Couple of my training Partners who were up at that trial.
Jamie's young dog Maggie took second in the qual. She won the call in the last trial she ran making her qa2. Jamie's young dog Ice also jammed the Derby in his first trial
Jeff's young dog Riley took third place in the derby giving him 7 pts.
They related to me that Lily is real fun to watch!
Congrats to all on the job well done and good luck going forward to all three handlers and their dogs:)

Registered
Thank you Marc, it was a fun weekend and there were a lot of very nice young dogs there. Are there of been some pretty good size derbies recently, I hope that鈥檚 a positive sign for the future of the sport.
Lily鈥檚 mama made it to the last series of both the open and the am. I have not heard results yet.
One of Lilys brothers Got a jam and another brother placed third in a derby in Minnesota.
could be three littermates running in the derby national.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Congrats Stan and Lily, very consistent, and that's a positive we all strive for. Caleb Brown went up to mid Iowa with 2 dogs, won with Miah 55 pts and 4th with Jake, my yellow, who has run 2 trials a jam and a 4th.
I think Lily, Jake, Jeff's dog all age out in March so hopefully we'll have some good competition in the future. Congrats again Stan.

Registered
Congrats are in order again for Drunkenpoacher.
His little girl Lily got second at the Derby in mid Iowa and also got a reserve Jam in the qual.
Congrats also to Jamie Forqueran and Jeff Stenzenbach Couple of my training Partners who were up at that trial.
Jamie's young dog Maggie took second in the qual. She won the call in the last trial she ran making her qa2. Jamie's young dog Ice also jammed the Derby in his first trial
Jeff's young dog Riley took third place in the derby giving him 7 pts.
They related to me that Lily is real fun to watch!
Congrats to all on the job well done and good luck going forward to all three handlers and their dogs:)
Congrats to all! I met Jeff back in 2020 when Rip was running the derby. Heck of a good dude.

Registered
Congrats Stan and Lily, very consistent, and that's a positive we all strive for. Caleb Brown went up to mid Iowa with 2 dogs, won with Miah 55 pts and 4th with Jake, my yellow, who has run 2 trials a jam and a 4th.
I think Lily, Jake, Jeff's dog all age out in March so hopefully we'll have some good competition in the future. Congrats again Stan.
Thank you Brooks
I talked with Caleb some during the trial. Nice guy and obviously a good trainer/handler.

Registered
I'm gonna go out on a limb here..........................I'd be willing to bet that many GRHRCH dogs would fare better in a "field trial".....................than a FC would
in the Grand!!!!
I would say your limb would break, I HIGHLY doubt that to be correct. I鈥檝e run both. Probably see as many or more with good line manners in a trial as the grand. I have seen many GRHRCH鈥檚 try qualifying stakes at 6-8 years old, not fair very well. I鈥檝e only seen one succeed in all-age FT after becoming a grand dog. He was a very nice dog, but wouldn鈥檛 qualify him even near the top in trials. Won鈥檛 say it can鈥檛 be done, but it would be much more doable to transition fro trails to HT than HT to trials.

Reactions: drunkenpoacher

Registered
I would say your limb would break, I HIGHLY doubt that to be correct. I鈥檝e run both. Probably see as many or more with good line manners in a trial as the grand. I have seen many GRHRCH鈥檚 try qualifying stakes at 6-8 years old, not fair very well. I鈥檝e only seen one succeed in all-age FT after becoming a grand dog. He was a very nice dog, but wouldn鈥檛 qualify him even near the top in trials. Won鈥檛 say it can鈥檛 be done, but it would be much more doable to transition fro trails to HT than HT to trials.
I run hunt tests and field trials. The out of control field trial dogs may exist but I don't see them. Line manners are often as bad or worse at a weekend hunt test.

Registered
I run hunt tests and field trials. The out of control field trial dogs may exist but I don't see them. Line manners are often as bad or worse at a weekend hunt test.
I would agree with this. I would say that field trials have a lot of dogs on the edge, but seem to hold it together. That may be likely due to a more regular training schedule. Several dogs in both games have very similar pedigrees (at least the top half).

Registered
The out of control field trial dogs may exist but I don't see them.
There are exceptions but it is usually a self eliminating fault.
Lily was terrible at the line at one trial. Got the birds but not pretty and we were not called back to the next series (it was an Am). We did a bunch of drills, heeling, walking from holding blind to the mat, just basic stuff and two weeks later won a derby.
I slacked off after that and she was a little loose at the Mid Ia Q. A big hunt one one bird in the 1st series may have cost us the a blue ribbon.
That night and the next morning we just went for a couple walks enforcing Heel, a few sits, etc. Nothing harsh at all, just obedience to a high standard and praise for doing it. The next day we managed to get 2nd in the derby.

It all starts at the line.
There are and have been some great field trial dogs notorious for being loose on the line. People forget that when those dogs fail, line manners are often the reason.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts