RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bryan shared with me yesterday that Rally passed her first HRC Grand this week! Congratulations Bryan! I know you did not get to handle her in this event, but I am sure you will be at the helm this spring. :) Proves how well you've trained her, to be able to hand her off for three weeks with a different trainer/handler and get a pass at the grand. Well done to you both!(y)(y)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Thank you very much.

Yes, up until Sept 19th I had been the only person to ever stand next to her. I was unable to make the trip for a number of reasons but thought she deserved the chance to show what she can do.

She titled on September 19th to become eligible to even run the Grand. Justin had her for two week leading up to it and then one week of pre-grand training in KY. Justin said she just completely demolished the tests and pinned every mark all week.

I train alone 95% of the time so it's hard to really know how well your dog is doing at times. I don't get much feedback or get to compare how she's doing with other dogs.

It's a testament to how much of a team player she is and how great a handler Justin Jackson is. I'm very grateful he took her and did so well with her.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was in H flight- good looking gal. Congrats!

Reactions: Bryan Parks

·
Registered
910 Posts
I was in H flight- good looking gal. Congrats!
I appreciate that! I hope to handle her at Mississippi in the spring even though Justin probably did a better job than I would have! He did say "hell she just needed someone to drive her to the test" 😂

He has a lot more experience than me and I'm sure a lot less nerves than I would have had.

It is hard to let someone handle her when you've put in so much work to get her to this point.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I judged flights G, F, E, and D in that order.............................I was judging Gunners Up Land...........................But I did judge her in the Upland...........I checked!!! Congrats!!

Reactions: Bryan Parks

·
Registered
192 Posts
I appreciate that! I hope to handle her at Mississippi in the spring even though Justin probably did a better job than I would have! He did say "hell she just needed someone to drive her to the test" 😂

He has a lot more experience than me and I'm sure a lot less nerves than I would have had.

It is hard to let someone handle her when you've put in so much work to get her to this point.
I understand. This was my first ever grand- I just can't seem to get the time off to go. I admire you for being able to send her with someone. Unfortunately, my wife and I just can't lol. We are just too attached to them. I met Justin for the first time at this grand. He's a hoot and was fun to have him in our flight.

I learned that check down marks at the grand are very short and difficult for my hot heads to pick up lol. One of my girls sat on the trailer all day on Sunday and didn't get to run. They called the test after my first dog ran which meant my other would be dog number three the next morning. The temps dropped overnight to 41 degrees. She was a hot tamale when she came off that trailer the next morning and after pinning a short 90 ish yard go bird, I lined her up and sent for the 58 yard check down bird. By now, there are lanes cut through the pond cover leading directly to the birds- all they have to do is run the lane slow enough to get a whiff...nope lol. Mine goes through there at mach nine and never slowed down lol.

My wife came down and overall, we enjoyed it and had a great time, but we probably won't ever be very successful at the grand. Just not the type of training we do.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I understand. This was my first ever grand- I just can't seem to get the time off to go. I admire you for being able to send her with someone. Unfortunately, my wife and I just can't lol. We are just too attached to them. I met Justin for the first time at this grand. He's a hoot and was fun to have him in our flight.

I learned that check down marks at the grand are very short and difficult for my hot heads to pick up lol. One of my girls sat on the trailer all day on Sunday and didn't get to run. They called the test after my first dog ran which meant my other would be dog number three the next morning. The temps dropped overnight to 41 degrees. She was a hot tamale when she came off that trailer the next morning and after pinning a short 90 ish yard go bird, I lined her up and sent for the 58 yard check down bird. By now, there are lanes cut through the pond cover leading directly to the birds- all they have to do is run the lane slow enough to get a whiff...nope lol. Mine goes through there at mach nine and never slowed down lol.

My wife came down and overall, we enjoyed it and had a great time, but we probably won't ever be very successful at the grand. Just not the type of training we do.
I was a bit worried about the short birds as well. Rally is a speedster and I've been training to run Qs. Luckily she pinned them all.

The pros that are successful at the grand train a lot for that short bird. Justin tries to end a lot of his training set ups with a short bird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts