RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog had surgery Monday afternoon last bowel movement was monday am. He came home tuesday, he's eating drinking urinating, is on tramadol for pain. But no bowel movement. I called the vets office they said sometimes it may take a few days for his system to straighten out and as long as he is not straining dont worry, but I am. Is this normal, what would be the best to give him to help move things along?
Thanks Cindy

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I would not worry until the first of next week. If surgery was on the rectal/colon area then I would be concerned earlier. I would NOT suggest using any over the counter enema products unless recommended by the veterinarian. All pain meds can slow the GI tract, but never had a problem when my dog was on tramadol.
Give him the weekend and relax, your stress will make him nervous. And that's the last thing he needs.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
constipation

Thank You , it was shoulder surgery, when he airs out he loves to do themacho thing and kick his hind legs and dig with his front feet, I think he may be afraid because of the pain, he doesn't act like he has to go. I will be patient.
Cindy

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Put him in the room with your newest rug. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :wink:

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can try putting some steamed broccoli in his food or some canned pumpkin. Also, since surgery kills a lot of the good bacteria in the intestinal tract you could give him probiotics for a while, or some plain yogurt.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Cindy,

I remember when my yellow had his shoulder surgery it was the same thing. My vet said it was a combination of the trama from the surgery and the pain killers. It took him about week to get his system straightened out.

Hang in there

Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
surgery

Thanks we are on week 2 post op The vet told me to mix in a little metamucil and it worked they said same thing, all the drugs really slow down the GI tract
Cindy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts