RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My male has started coughing its a dry hacking cough . He is 11 & started this a couple weeks ago taking him to vet in morning, he coughs if he gets up after laying down, or gets excited, sometimes when he drinks water and if he has pressure put on it, any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Could be a heart issue (coughing after rest makes me wonder), could be a larynx issue (coughing after drinking) .

I have a dog that initially had laryngeal paralysis and would cough after drinking and when excited. Those symptoms were alleviated by surgery.

Later, he developed congestive heart failure. He coughed after sleeping The cough was associated with fluid build-up (edema) associated with his heart disease. He now takes furosemide (lasix) to assist with the edema.

Please let us know what the vet has to say.

Jeff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks saw the Dr he put him on antibiotics and cough meds for 10 days if he still is coughing he wants to take a chest xray. Heart lungs sound good . I think its just the old dog sound my Dusty died of LP he sounded like this a year before he died hard labored breathing gagging etc....I think a chest xray is the next logical step he didnt do it today because he needs to tranquilze him first to calm him down. will keep you posted

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Thanks saw the Dr he put him on antibiotics and cough meds for 10 days if he still is coughing he wants to take a chest xray. Heart lungs sound good . I think its just the old dog sound my Dusty died of LP he sounded like this a year before he died hard labored breathing gagging etc....I think a chest xray is the next logical step he didnt do it today because he needs to tranquilze him first to calm him down. will keep you posted
If he is going to sedate him to get the x-ray then you might as well get the diagnostic test done to see if it is LarPar....

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
When the dog is sedated the put a scope down the throat and watch the flaps - they give them a "boost" of meds to increase their breathing and based on how the flaps react they can tell if that's they are suffering with LarPar (that's the layman's way to describing it).

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
I had to have Flash's teeth cleaned so at that time they did the test - figured one less time they had to sedate him...saved a little money, too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Look up one of my threads - 13yo CLM coughing diagnosis. I've had something similar happen with my male, Toby. It's been going on with him for a couple of years, and we got a new diagnosis from our vet a couple of months ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts