RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend i ran a ukc/hrc hunt test in tripoli iowa and it was really special, one that i wont forget. it was finished flight A water and i was second in the running order. the birds came out and i sent nitro. first bird picked up clean, i lined him up for the second bird that landed in a brush pile and sent nitro agian well this is when things could have turned deadly. nitro got tangled and went under his leggs caught he began to scream!

the judge yelled get to that dog mike botts and carl beckstrom took of running to help nitro. they were running through the marsh so fast with no regard to thier owen safety only to help that dog. when they got close to nitro he stopped screaming as if he knew they were there to help.

once freed all nitro did was go after that bird! he came in to me and delivered the bird. i checked him out and he was net limping or bleeding
the judges instructed me of my options , i chose to continued the test.
nitro locked on the memory bird and front footed it. then he had to swim past that brush pile in route to the blind well nitro went right past that pile and 2 whistled the blind.

i really learned about courage this weekend i saw to first hand.
if any of you see mike , carl or nitro give them a smile and a big hand shake they all showed courage and are heros in my book.

thanks so much mike ,carl and nitro--------elm :D

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Wow. :shock: That was scary. Glad he's okay!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I met Mike last year in Maine and had the honor of judging with him, saw him again at the Fall Grand. He is a top notch fellow, and your pup has more courage than any other I have heard about.

Glad all turned out well, but I would have had a set of kittens if it had been one of my pups.

Saw a similar issue a long time ago in Maine at an AKC junior test, dogs collar got snagged on a stick, several members jumped in and save the dog, he came back with a rerun and nailed that test. Funny how their love for this sport and birds doesn't seem to phase them but we have a heart attack for the next six months when the enter they water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts