Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NILAK COOL AND GROOVY

MASTER HUNTER
MASTER NATIONAL COMPETITOR
ONE POINT FROM CANADIAN AMATEUR FIELD CHAMPION
CANADIAN NATIONAL OPEN AND AMATEUR COMPETITOR

“Austin” the courageous brown dog with three legs left this life today the way he lived it, with courage, dignity and grace.

Goodbye to you, my trusted friend.
We've known each other since before you we're two.
Together we ran the field trials and the hunt tests.
Learned of love and the love of retrieving,
skinned our hearts and skinned our knees.
Goodbye my friend, it's hard to die,
when all the flyers are in the sky,
Now that the spring is in the air.
Pretty birds are everywhere.
When you see them I'll be there.
We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
And marks and the blinds, I will remember for all time.

Goodbye, Austin, my brave one.
You gave me love and helped me find the sun.
And every time that I was down
you would always come around
and get my feet back on the ground.
Goodbye, Austin, it's hard to die
when all the flyers are in the sky,
Now that the spring is in the air.
With the flowers ev'rywhere.
I whish that we could both be there.
We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun.
But the goals that we chased
were just a little beyond your race.
Rest well, my dear one, with your big heart and three good legs, and when you reach the other side, run for the flyers with your big heart and four good legs.
DAD AND MOM KRESS

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Our condolences to you both at this time.
I know you have many great memories of this brave dog. May they fill the hole in your heart made by his loss.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Oh Dave and Marty, I am so very sorry. I know your heart is broken.
Austin was an incredibly brave boy and you gave him every chance for a truly wonderful life.
Take Care,
Becky

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dave and Marty,

I am so sorry for you loss. I can't believe it happened so soon. I just saw him this weekend and knew he was having trouble but did not realize he would cross over so soon.

He was a wonderful dog whose heart was bigger than life,

Valarie

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Smackwater said:
Dave and Marty,

I am so sorry for you loss. I can't believe it happened so soon. I just saw him this weekend and knew he was having trouble but did not realize he would cross over so soon.

He was a wonderful dog whose heart was bigger than life,

Valarie
:wink: .....................................................................................................

I judged a Master test a couple of years ago for MTARC and I was fortunate to have Austin in my flight. At the end of the day, Austin had the highest average score of any dog we judged in all categories...and did it all on three legs. He was an inspiration to watch.

If anyone ever wonders how to do right by their dogs, get in touch with Marty and/or Dave Kress. They are two of the finest human beings that ever drew breath and are both great credits to the sport of dogs.

Godspeed, Austin.

Keith Griffith

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Austin

Marty & Dave,
I'm sorry to hear about Austin. He was definitely a Special Dog.

When I saw Austin for the first time he was coming to line at a trial in Ontario.
My initial thought was, Should this dog really be running? What with 3 legs and all.
As he was sent for the first mark I thought, "WOW this dog can kick some serious dirt"! His running style put a lot of able bodied dogs to shame.
When he delivered the last bird I remember thinking, "WOW and he can mark too"!
I'm pretty sure he received an ovation from the gallery after that performance.

My condolences to you both on the loss of your fine dog.
Although he lacked but 1 point I know he's a Field Champion in your hearts.

Breck

·
Registered
126 Posts
sorry

Marty/Dave,

I was in your flight at Magnolia and watched him through all three series of Master and what heart he must have had. Looked as if he didn't have a bother in the world except where the next bird was.

I'm sorry for your loss....

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
loss

Sorry for your loss!

Aaron

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Dave and Marty,

Really sorry that this kid got away. I watched him in California and the courage and determination he showed there makes me humble.

Glad you each other and hope you live long enough to have another with his heart.

Steve and Terry Elliott

G

·
Oh, Dave and Marty!! I'm so sorry to hear. I know Austin was an inspiration not only to the folks who watched and judged him, but also to "other dogs" who were in his situation. On more than one occasion, I spoke with people on the weekend whose dogs were facing osteosarcoma and I sent them your way to see Austin run and hear your wonderful experience with his recovery.

Godspeed Austin...

-Kristie

·
Registered
67 Posts
Marty & Dave,

My deepest condolances about your loss of Austin. Last time I watched him run was at the Canadian National Amateur last fall. He had so much heart and to make it all the way to the 8th series was incredible. I know how much you will miss him. He gave it everything he had.

Ted & Anne

·
Registered
713 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your loss. He was a neat dog.

Carol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts