RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
I thought this was going to be a continuation of the chessie stud thread....

(sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
12,626 Posts

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Urban legend, campfire tail, or whatever. There are stories that tell, way back. The Evil, Criminal Market hunters of the Chesapeake who developed the breed. May have used some wild dogs in the “Program” and I use that word as loosely as possible. And those who have never had the privilege of owning a group of Chessies. And Brung them camping or hiking overnight in the wilderness. When they get set off by a distant Eastern Coyote or Black Bear at night. The group howl they set off is wicked eerie! Rivaling Coyote in raising neck hair. Kinda sounding like a Wolf Eating a **** Hound with a crying Baby on its back. That is the best way I can explain it. The group Chessie howl.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Urban legend, campfire tail, or whatever. There are stories that tell, way back. The Evil, Criminal Market hunters of the Chesapeake who developed the breed. May have used some wild dogs in the “Program” and I use that word as loosely as possible. And those who have never had the privilege of owning a group of Chessies. And Brung them camping or hiking overnight in the wilderness. When they get set off by a distant Eastern Coyote or Black Bear at night. The group howl they set off is wicked eerie! Rivaling Coyote in raising neck hair. Kinda sounding like a Wolf Eating a **** Hound with a crying Baby on its back. That is the best way I can explain it. The group Chessie howl.
My malamutes used to join in with the coyotes howling. I liked to watch them when they did that.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
That was my coyote doing the blind. He would have lined it until he heard the click of your camera and stopped him.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Mine howls when the ringtone on the iPhone goes off...

Led Zeppelin's Immagrint song of course.....

·
Registered
377 Posts
That thing looks...gnarly. Must be one of those "field" coyotes, with no coat and a needle nose. MY coyote has a blocky head, lots of bone, and a thick, luscious coat. He's also a lean an mean 143 lbs, and standing 20" at the shoulder.

That's a joke, by the way...no non-peanutty intentions whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Yeah,my coyote didn't have the best line manners. He was growling at the honor dog and licking his chops at the ducks on the drying rack.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Rick-

How did you get that second picture and what would the next couple of frames have shown us? That photo is just plain scary!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Rick-

How did you get that second picture and what would the next couple of frames have shown us?
That's the pup's real father, who Peake had rolled on a prior encounter defending his little old deaf and nearly blind Brittany "brother," but when little Kie isn't with us or is safely at my side, the Chessie ignores coyotes just as he would belligerent dogs that kept their distance. That day, once Kie was safe with me, Peake ignored coyote while I took pictures:

of it carrying on:

long enough that the coyote apparently decided it was the big dog again, and a week(?) later it came and met us where the "coyote bait" photo was taken.

Most would think the next frame pretty anticlimactic, because the coyote hauled butt when the Chessie was released to face him, and the Chessie then did as he should and ignored him:

Good dog.

·
Registered
915 Posts

(sorry, couldn't resist)
No comparison... Coyotes are much easier to get along with!:D

BHB

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
That would scare the stew out of me. We have stories about a "panther" in our subdivision (10-15 acre mostly treed lots) and I've seen something that could have been it flitting through the forest. However, to have a coyote that close....

I originally intended to say to Illinois Bob that his coyote took a nice channel blind but seeing your photos....geesh. Nice photos even if they are scary.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts