RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 6 month old female that has been crate trained for a while now. We just finished our 35'x10' run/kennel and want to transition her into that area. I put her in there last night with our other two labs, and she is the only one of course that does her business in there. Any thoughts on what I can do to train her to prevent her from going in there? Confining her to a smaller area is all I can think of. I'd just like her to learn that, the kennel is no area to potty in. Do yall think that is too much to expect of her?

·
Registered
433 Posts
That's a pretty big run. I recommend confining her to a smaller area, like you suggested. I have a 5 x 10 and my pup has had one accident in over a year now and she was sick at the time.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
If she's been trained to a potty pool (as a baby), I'd just add a small kid pool w/ pellets to one end so she's got a place to do her biz... when ya gotta go, ya gotta go. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feed at consistent times and air them immediately after with patience. Try to create the habit of eat -then get out of kennel
She'll go immediately after eating, then before I go to work as well. When we get home she'll go in the yard like I want her too also. It's at night that she seems that she can't wait. She'll do her business after dinner and once more before bedtime too. But, when I go to let her out in the a.m., low and behold a suprise for daddy. She just either goes right before I get her out or right after I put her in. I can't time it right.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My dogs have always been crate trained, but lifetime house dogs ... I've never had a dog run or outdoor kennel. So, forgive me for making a suggestion ... I may be missing some obvious fact about life with a dog run.

Could you, at night only, put her crate in one corner of the run and crate her overnight. I would remove the crate each day and return it to the run just before bed each night in order to try to maintain some separation in her mind between the crate training (clean) and the kennel habits (not so clean).

If she is clean in her crate (inside the kennel) for several nights, you can gradually increase the size of her nighttime space by replacing her crate with an x-pen in a corner of the run. By gradually expanding upon the space that she respects as clean space, you can train her to treat the entire run as a "clean" zone.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dogs have always been crate trained, but lifetime house dogs ... I've never had a dog run or outdoor kennel. So, forgive me for making a suggestion ... I may be missing some obvious fact about life with a dog run.

Could you, at night only, put her crate in one corner of the run and crate her overnight. I would remove the crate each day and return it to the run just before bed each night in order to try to maintain some separation in her mind between the crate training (clean) and the kennel habits (not so clean).

If she is clean in her crate (inside the kennel) for several nights, you can gradually increase the size of her nighttime space by replacing her crate with an x-pen in a corner of the run. By gradually expanding upon the space that she respects as clean space, you can train her to treat the entire run as a "clean" zone.

Jim
Thats seems like a good idea. I'm going to try that tonight.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thats seems like a good idea. I'm going to try that tonight.
Just thought of something ... will putting a crate in the run provide an intermediate step for your other two labs to escape over the top? Problem?

Otherwise, I hope it works out.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts