RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the situation: 10 week old blf. I've been home with her for the past four weeks since we brought her home and I think that may have hindered her bladder control a little, because I would take her out when she had to go. She never really had to hold it. Next week I am going back to work and am racking my mind for a solution. We have someone who can come and let her out around lunch time, but I don't think that she will make it. What have you done in the past? I would rather not use the kitchen with a pee pad because I guarantee with enough determination she could get over/through/around the baby gate.

Has anyone ever tried taking the divider out of the crate and putting a pee pad at one end?

If I am leaving anything out please say so and I will be happy to answer. I've been reading this forum for the past six or seven months and this is my first post. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsXwDMXnFLo video of her in the water

·
Registered
192 Posts
She needs to start learning to try to 'hold it' sometime - today would be a good time to start! You have several days to work on it and get her used to longer periods in crate. By next week she ought to be able to hold it for a few hours at least (before lunch/after lunch). If she does have a crate accident the world won't end, but I would not encourage her by using pee pads in crate.
Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have 3 nine week old pups right now that go out at 6am (before work), noon, 430pm, 730pm, and 10pm. They sleep all nights. Had a couple accidents early on but they don't like being dirty so it has been a breeze since last Friday. Started last Tuesday at just a little over eight weeks. They are in a small sized crate, but no divider they have plenty of room they just choose not be dirty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 3 nine week old pups right now that go out at 6am (before work), noon, 430pm, 730pm, and 10pm. They sleep all nights. Had a couple accidents early on but they don't like being dirty so it has been a breeze since last Friday. Started last Tuesday at just a little over eight weeks. They are in a small sized crate, but no divider they have plenty of room they just choose not be dirty.
thanks for advice, I am going to try and work her up to it as much as possible. But trust me she has no problem getting dirty. What time do you give food and water.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My girls is little over 9 weeks and she can go all night without accident, but can't seem to make it in the afternoon after I let her out at 11 or 12. I think she gets to playing and forgets to take care of business.

Not sure yet, if she doesn't mind being dirty...hope this is not the issue.

·
Registered
345 Posts
thanks for advice, I am going to try and work her up to it as much as possible. But trust me she has no problem getting dirty. What time do you give food and water.
Water is pretty free until 6pm when they are out. They seem not to binge drink that way.
I feed a little in the morning maybe 1/3 cup. A good feeding at lunch like a cup each. Then another 1/3 cup each at around 4-430. Seems to work well so far.

Getting dirty and sitting in there mess are usually two different things...good luck!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Don't like the puppy pad idea in the crate for a couple reasons...one, pups get bored and she'll probably chew it up. I wouldn't want her to swallow those fibers, plastic, etc. Secondly, You don't want to encourage elimination in the crate, you want the opposite.
Have you considered an exercise pen on the patio with pine shavings or on tile floor with newspaper? I start my litters and personal pups this way, it seems to work out with minimal clean up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I take my pup to work in a crate so I can let him out 3 times during work day. He is about 13 weeks now and have had him since 10 weeks. He always makes it all night, but withold water after 8pm.
Never makes a mess in crate this way!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts