RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend in second series while dog was on way to mark a rabbit too off right in front of him. Then in 3rd series one of Tim Milligans dog was on way to water mark and a fish jumped right in front of her and just about hit her in nose, she started swimming in circles looking for fish Nd trying to find it for about 5 seconds then went on out and ran straight to bird out on land like nothing happened.

·
Registered
143 Posts
At the Master National this year the test dog left in the middle of the run to retrieve a bird in another test.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I recently saw a judge wave for the first bird for the test dog, and the bird boys waved back! It was too funny, but in everyone's defense they did great the rest of the weekend.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Dog retrieved a very young (like, wobbly on its legs young) fawn--the scream was horrible, and everyone was confused for a moment except the dog, which was doing its darndest to bring it back to the line.

It was right on line to the bird, and an hour's worth or more of dogs had run right over or just barely past it. Handler figured out what was going on, ran out, and whether she had to take the fawn or whether the dog let it go I don't remember, but after a couple seconds of heaving breaths it took off (unsteadily) for the trees.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Jim I was working at the other test. I guess our live duck was more interesting than the pheasant he was supposed to get.

It was such a huge distance we were shocked when we found out it was the test dog from the other stake.

What a great week that was.

Pattie

·
Registered
130 Posts
Running HRC finished test dog this past fall. Judges call on the radio for the first bird, the bird boy screams "fire in the hole" as he launched the bird. LOL. Took a few min for everyone to stop laughing and regain composure.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This weekend in second series while dog was on way to mark a rabbit too off right in front of him. Then in 3rd series one of Tim Milligans dog was on way to water mark and a fish jumped right in front of her and just about hit her in nose, she started swimming in circles looking for fish Nd trying to find it for about 5 seconds then went on out and ran straight to bird out on land like nothing happened.

A definite blue ribbon for a fish retrieve! That is cool:)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
last summer at the SMHRA Hunt test near Blooming Prairie a Canada goose decided it didn't want to leave the pond during the water series and wanted to be near the water blind I had to keep casting my dog over because she would go towards the blind and then start to loop towards the goose which was only 10 yds away from the line - Talk about a poison bird - thankfully I was able to get her to the blind with out too much effort

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
At an HRC Seasoned event, one dog crossed the stream, missed the bird on the shore, and disappeared in to trees and underbrush. No amount of whistling or calling could bring the dog out for about 5 minutes.

On the way home, we stopped at a fast food joint. The birdboy was the son of my traveling partner. Part way through the meeal he started chuckling. When we asked what was so funny, he related that he'd been eating his lunch when the dog ran. Seems the dog sniffed it out and disappeared into the brush to visit the boy until they'd finished the sandwich.

On another time, in JH, the judges were lunching on the fly with a big entry. One dog returned carrying the duck and went around the judges chairs and came to heel...whereupon he delivered the remains of the Judge's sandwich. When they looked, the duck was lying right where the sandwich had been.

At the Cattle Ranch, a SH dog was enroute to the go bird on the shore but he landed and picked up something about 8-10 to the right of where the bird had landed. He was coming back with something obviously in his mouth. Then several of us realized just what it probably was and backed way away. Sure enough, the dog tried to deliver a dead...maybe a week or so....catfish to the handler. Took a minute or two to convince the dog that the handler didn't want it.

Eric

·
Registered
351 Posts
1st series in a master test a couple of years ago. Triple right to left. As the go bird hits the ground, a toy poodle jumps out of the window of a truck and races the lab to the mark. Everyone in the gallery gasped all together. The lab never even new the poodle was hot on his heels but when ever it was obvious that the lab was going to win, the toy poodle turned around and went back to the truck. Fortunately, the working dog never knew.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I saw the fish thing once at Cooper Black in a Qualifying. Ricky Millheim was handling the dog and pretty much same scenario. The dog hunted for the fish for a moment then continued on and picked up the mark. I was judging the test and I can't remember what else happened but Rick had a string of bad luck that weekend with one bad thing after another it seemed.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Once I was at a HT and the judges set up a very fair test. Some dogs passed and some failed.

No one in the gallery griped the whole time.
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
MP

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not at a hunt test, but a white standard poodle, running in a WD at a Chesapeake specialty (which is a pretty odd site all by itself), ran in to a turkey hen and her brood on the way to the mark. The turkey started chasing the poodle all over the field. The poodle kept running until it could get to the duck and bring it back.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Up state New York at a NAHRA test: Tornado about a mile over the hill. :shock:

Presque Isle R.C. Pa.: A swarm of bees about the size of a UPS truck "moved" through the test.

Last series on Sunday ran LATE all the workers, handlers, marshalls, etc.etc. Pulled thier trucks/cars up to the pond and turned on the headlights and we ran the last few dogs in the dark under the lights. (water triple)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Seasoned test in western Nebraska. Bird was across and past a low water river with several little channels. Dog gets bird and on way back dropped bird in one of the channels. Bird floated downstream and dog watches it...looks at handler like "what the hell?".. runs downstream and gets bird and brings back to same spot and drops it and watches it again like "that is amazing"....finally got the bird and brought it in...
no idea if dog passed.. but it sure was entertaining...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.